3.1 engine swap HELP!!! - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3.1 engine swap HELP!!!
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:53 AM
k so i got this parts car to fix my sunburd i blew the 2,0 in it and i wanted to know what parts off the 3.1 do i need to carry over to the sunbird to make the engine swap work i know i need the engine tranny and electrical but do i need to swap over the front suspension and hub assembley from the other car or are they all the same. and links and any other info on the swap would be great thanks guys

Re: 3.1 engine swap HELP!!!
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:07 AM
Tom, you didn't mention what generation your cars are and your profile is empty, so do yourself a favor and take a look at the V6 engine swap sticky in the "third gen" forum and/or search through the countless V6 swap threads there and in the performance forums to see if your questions are covered.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:20 PM
Sunbird and 2.0, I'm guessing it's a second gen.

GM is generally pretty cheap... so the front suspension and hub and all that would probably be the same.

Friday, August 28, 2009 12:23 AM
You should just need the engine, trans and electrical. Might get a more definite answer on V6Z24.com, since 99% of JBO is 3rd gens.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, August 31, 2009 12:37 PM
Tom Ponzini wrote:k so i got this parts car to fix my sunburd i blew the 2,0 in it and i wanted to know what parts off the 3.1 do i need to carry over to the sunbird to make the engine swap work i know i need the engine tranny and electrical but do i need to swap over the front suspension and hub assembley from the other car or are they all the same. and links and any other info on the swap would be great thanks guys

1of7627 (Mark) wrote:Tom, you didn't mention what generation your cars are and your profile is empty, so do yourself a favor and take a look at the V6 engine swap sticky in the "third gen" forum...

Last I checked the Sunbird ended with the 2nd gen of the platform.

Friday, September 04, 2009 3:19 AM
V6z24.com might be a better place to ask this question. They know a @!#$ ton about 2nd gens.

Jon Mick wrote:
i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 1:26 PM
you will need the following: motor, trans(i think you can use your 2.0 but it will not take a beating), motor mounts, v6 axles. there are a few other things you prob will need (rad and hoses) so your best bet would be pick up a v6 parts car. in my opinion though, if you are going to do an engine swap. put in a 3400 v6. www.v6z24.com will have more answers thought. a few members there have done that swap before.

good luck!
Dan

Monday, September 21, 2009 9:29 PM
Negatory on the trans Daniel. The 2.0 OHC in the Sunbirds is a totally different motor than the 2.0/2.2 OHV used in the Cavaliers that share the same bellhousing as the 60 degree V6. Now the 16V 2.0 DOHC from a Daewoo Nubira would bolt up.....

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:51 AM
oops sorry about that

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:24 PM
I had someone tell me they have used the DOHC Daewoo engine, but put in the pistons from the 2.0 turbo engine and then bolted on the turbo. Supposedly they got some serious power. If I can find the guy I'll get the how to on it and then you can have one that may be a bunch more fun than the v6 would be.
Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:20 PM
DOHC head will actually bolt on to the Sunbird's OHC block, but can't remember if the pistons touch the valves. DOHC pistons have a different valve relief cut out, and there's a difference in the wrist pins. One's floating and the other is pressed. Don't know how many Ecotec owners realize it, but that motor's roots are actually from the Sunbird's OHC which is known as "D-Tec" in it's 16v DOHC version.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:50 AM
you will need the radiator, and hoses since they will be a different size and configuration. you will also need the v-6 axles since they will be a different length than the 2.0L. the trany may be the same and will probably work with a stock 3.1L. as for the suspension, only the springs will be different. your springs are for an engine that weighs a bit less than the 3.1L. if you dont swap the springs, you will lower your front end (cool) but since there is to much weight for the springs, your car may seem to float (not cool). and of course you will need to re-wire the front half of your car. the easiest way is to remove the engine bay harnes (simple swap) and you will also need to trade all the wiring in the dash since that is where the computer is. i did it to my '88 and its really not that hard. but start with the parts car first so you can learn without having to worry about damage.
as for a 3400 swap, i think that may be to technical right now. its easier to do that with a car that already has a 3.1L in it because of their similarities in mounts and configuration and so on. you already have your hands full going from 4 cyl to 6, so going from 4 cyl to having to do custom mods and part swapping for a 3400 may prove to be confusing. remember the 60degreeV6 instructions are for cars with engines that your car doesn't even have in it yet!
in short, keep the parts car and change everything thats different or doesn't fit in the 2.0L car. get the 3.1 running and beat the hell out of it cuz that one is paid for already. when it dies, then get the 3400 and drop it in since your car will be more set up for that by then.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:34 PM
This post is almost a year old, and you threw out a lot of misinformation. I would go into setting the record straight, but since the OP has probably already moved on to something else, I will just say to anyone else reading this post, diregard everything karl has written, or you will have problems.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:05 PM
ok james, set us straight. ive always took your advice in the past and its worked out. so do us a favor and set the record straight, because i have a 3.1l and i want to switch to the 3400.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/tntodc38107/droid.jpg
speed is only for those who use it, smoke or get smoked!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search