89' Z4 Project Thread - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
89' Z4 Project Thread
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:48 AM
ok hey...yea ima newb..lol...had s10s since i was 15...now i have a 89' Z24 2.8L 5speed...heres some pics...any idea or opinions are welcome...as i haven't figured out what im going to do to it yet lol...3.1 swap mayb

Re: 89' Z4 Project Thread
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:10 PM
First things first: Clean that mofo! You'll want to get the seats re-upholstered or replaced. If you get them re-upholstered, you could get the colour matched to the exterior (gray and blue would look pretty good if you did the whole set). I would also get the front bumper repainted. The silver lip looks great in good condition, but as that one sits, it looks nasty. There are some rust spots to take care of, too. Once easy mod for the exterior is to shave the door mouldings and pin striping. Taking the badges and the Chevy logo off the grille will add to that clean custom look.

Once you get past all the cleaning and little bit of exterior work, you could add an eBay intake & strut bar (if one isn't made for an '89 cavalier, you can use an eBay bar for a car with a wider engine bay and similar strut mount bolt pattern, and cut the bar to length), and clean up the engine bay a bit by polishing the intake manifold and valve cover.

Most of this is pretty cheap to do, and would look pretty good when done. The only other thing I would do is look through a local junk yard for some 3rd gen Z wheels.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:23 PM
C. Stormy Tan wrote:First things first: Clean that mofo! You'll want to get the seats re-upholstered or replaced. If you get them re-upholstered, you could get the colour matched to the exterior (gray and blue would look pretty good if you did the whole set). I would also get the front bumper repainted. The silver lip looks great in good condition, but as that one sits, it looks nasty. There are some rust spots to take care of, too. Once easy mod for the exterior is to shave the door mouldings and pin striping. Taking the badges and the Chevy logo off the grille will add to that clean custom look.

Once you get past all the cleaning and little bit of exterior work, you could add an eBay intake & strut bar (if one isn't made for an '89 cavalier, you can use an eBay bar for a car with a wider engine bay and similar strut mount bolt pattern, and cut the bar to length), and clean up the engine bay a bit by polishing the intake manifold and valve cover.

Most of this is pretty cheap to do, and would look pretty good when done. The only other thing I would do is look through a local junk yard for some 3rd gen Z wheels.

Well, all of this sounds like good advice, but I do believe that a strut bar from a '91 will fit. I have one for my '86 and it bolts right up. I would also recomend that you make your own CAI. They are NOT hard to make and you can get everything you need from an exhaust shop, home improvement store, and auto parts stores. Just to give you a visual of how easy they are to make, here is one that I made for my dad's Sonoma. The piece between the snorkel and MAF sensor and the one just before the MAF is what I made. I just welded a braket for the stock mounting point and he painted it with rattle can. He's got around $90 in it.
Pipes=$20
Stainless couplers=$15
K&N=$45
Paint/primer=$10

Now days I guess you could actually buy one for an import and mod it some to fit, but whats the satifaction in that? Not to mention that you'll have a ricer intake. J/K Good luck with it.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:48 PM
lol....well i brought it home today for teh first time....washed it b4 it got dark and drove it a lil..runs amazing actually...um put my head unit and speakers in....tomorow im goin to vacuum it out and do the windows....as far as my plans.....

3.1V6 wit mods..
and interior eventualy..
not many plans at the moment seeing as im broke for now
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:59 PM
If you're going to do a 3.1 swap why not go for a 3400 or something? It's not worth the work to gain just a few horsepower a 3.1 swap would get you. If you can find one an interesting swap would be a 3.1 turbo swap.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:54 PM
Scotty Bishop wrote:If you're going to do a 3.1 swap why not go for a 3400 or something? It's not worth the work to gain just a few horsepower a 3.1 swap would get you. If you can find one an interesting swap would be a 3.1 turbo swap.

Again, gotta agree with this. I've heard that the 3400 goes in easy with minimal mods. You might have to make a mount/bracket for the front. The 3400 is pretty good bang for the buck. I'm going with a 3100 in mine only because it was free, otherwise I would put a 3400 in. If your interrested in doing the 3400 swap talk to Superdave on v6z24.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:55 PM
Tyler Howland wrote:.....not many plans at the moment seeing as im broke for now

I'm feelin' ya. In the same boat.
Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:28 PM
lol a 3.1 turbo or high comp is wat i had planed...NOT STOCK.....if ima do it ima go all the way...cuz idk bout the 2.8 FI but teh TBI 2.8s in S10 are @!#$....this one is way faster thn a TBI 2.8 but i dnt i can do much with it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search