93 Sunbird 2.0 auto transmission problem,help ! - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
93 Sunbird 2.0 auto transmission problem,help !
Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:43 PM
I just bought a 93 sunbird to commute to school with. Drove it home fine then today on my way home from school the car starts vibrating and it sound like it is the transmission ! Car has the 2.0 ohc motor. Some things I noticed different from the first day I drove it are; takes alot of gas pedal to get the car moving,vibrating/harmonics coming from the trans tunnel,speedo gauge moves up to 40 if I have it in neutral and rev it up.
Could it have something to do with the torque converter,maybe some sort of switch?
Hoping for the best,any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: 93 Sunbird 2.0 auto transmission problem,help !
Friday, September 21, 2007 12:56 PM
shift solenoids?? usually if it takes some power to move from a stop, i would check that first...

Saturday, September 22, 2007 10:19 AM
Extreme Delusions(Speedline Z) wrote:shift solenoids?? usually if it takes some power to move from a stop, i would check that first...

his car doesnst use shift solenoids

try shifting manually 1 2 D when your driving, if the car accelerates properly then the car isnt down shifting back into 1st to start out again, to me it sounds like a govenor problem which IIRC is mounted on the same spot as the VSS which could becausing your speedo problem, its mounted on the pass side of the trans right above where the passenger axle goes in
Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:56 PM
Been a while, but the problem ended up being the tcc switch. I just unplugged it from the trans and all has been good since. Neighbour had the exact same problem on his 92 Cavalier. He got a quote of $450 from the trans shop to fix it. I unplugged the wire from his trans and the next day he could not believe that he was driving his car with no problems!
Also had a co workers car do the same thing. Unplugged it for her and added some trans medic in a bottle the next day. Plugged it back in a few days later since she commutes on the highway and all has been good 1 year later!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search