2.0 turbo to 2.0 n/a block swap? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.0 turbo to 2.0 n/a block swap?
Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:37 AM
My turbo engine has 430'000 km on it, needless to say it is pretty much spent. I have a 93' n/a motor with 67'000 km and plan to install it soon, I know for sure the distributor and intake will work the same but what about the crank index for s.e.f.i?

The 93' engine has a reluctor wheel that controls both spark and fuel signal and a crank sensor with 3 wires connecting to it. The turbo block has a single wire that plugs into a round shaped sensor that threads in the rear of the block. Has anyone ever done this or know anything about it.

Re: 2.0 turbo to 2.0 n/a block swap?
Thursday, April 08, 2010 8:22 PM
The round sensor on the rear of the block is a knock sensor.
Friday, April 09, 2010 10:59 AM
So thats where the knock sensor is, I did not know that.
Can It still work on the N/A engine if that hole was drilled in the same place I wonder? Guess I need to get at it and find out the old fashion way, trail and error.
Sunday, May 02, 2010 6:15 AM
Well, first off, the distributor won't work with the NA computer.
I'm doing the reverse of what you are doing.
You will have to swap the entire engine harness, engine and ECM.
The knock sensor is unsupported by the NA ECM, so is the dizzy.
You'll have to use DIS instead.
The CPS (crank position sensor) is used by the NA ECM, so you'll definitely need the NA ECM.
The downpipe for the exhaust is different too and the exhaust manifold as well.
Plan on spending a few hours on the wiring, as the dash harnesses are far from the same.
Get a FSM for the 87 to 90 Sunbird GT and the 92 to 94 Sunbird.
Then read them very carefully.
Get to know the C100 and C207 connections very well because they control everything.
Good luck though, I can prolly answer your questions if you have any, like I said I'm going from 94 NA engine to 87 Turbo.
Sunday, May 02, 2010 4:54 PM
I have a factory 89 Turbo GT with the turbo computer and wiring already in the car, my plan is to install the 93 n/a engine use the LT3 manifolds,pistons, rods,T28 and ecm that I have now.
The turbo computer do not need the dizzy to control the spark timing but the crankshaft index for the M.P.F.I is what I am worried about.
How do the LT3 index the crankshaft for the fuel timing?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search