sunbird lifters don't pump up. - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
sunbird lifters don't pump up.
Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:14 PM
Hey guys, I have a 93 sunbird with the 2.0 ohc engine. I makes a heck of a tapping noise in the top end, I have determined that the lifters don't expand to take up the slack between the cam and followers. I tried replacing the lifters, but to no avail. My next thought was the oil pump, but oil pressure is there. I searched far and wide on the internet and found many, many sunbird owners with the same problems on other forums and even on yahoo answers and here on JBO, but I didn't find any where the problem was actually resolved. Please tell me this is not an unsolvable problem. Someone somewhere has to know why sunbirds just stop pumping their lifters up and allow the top end to rap until the head casting cracks or a valve breaks. Any insight at all is appreciated.

Re: sunbird lifters don't pump up.
Friday, May 07, 2010 5:09 PM
while i dont know a damn thing about the 2.0 engine... i would assume the lifters are hydraulic?

if so you should be able to dis-assemble them and relieve the oil inside causing the pressure thats causing them to install so 'solid'.

All I want... is a little of the good life
Friday, May 07, 2010 8:03 PM
the lifters are hydraulic but the problem isn't that they're pumped up "solid", it's that they're totally collapsed.
Saturday, May 08, 2010 7:37 AM
ahh...

ok still could take them apart to investigate then.

All I want... is a little of the good life
Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:36 AM
There is a cylinder head oil pressure reg. valve that could be the issue, did you pump the lifters full of oil manually by hand before installation.
Read the post "2.0 noisy head" I posted info on this there a few days ago.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search