2.2 5speed swap? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 5speed swap?
Thursday, October 01, 2009 1:02 PM
Just got back my 92 cav it has a 2.2 in it and its automatic i was wanting to do a 5speed swap and what a good tranny would be to use for it, and what i would need to do the swap. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/88/l_009839c3c01049574fa1661e0d1c9598.jpg

Re: 2.2 5speed swap?
Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:18 PM
I would have a stock 90 - 94 built a little built. and your gonna need the brake and clutch pedal, to cut a hole in the firewall, shifter, linkage, axles, and i believe the mount is different from the auto.. I might have left somethin out just let me know how it goes bro.

Honda's are like tampons, Every PU$$Y has one!!!
Re: 2.2 5speed swap?
Sunday, July 25, 2010 7:55 PM
You can use any trans with the 60degreeV6 bellhousing pattern. 92s came with the Isuzu MK7 stock, but you can use any year Getrag/Muncie or NVG MG2 (6cyl trans) if you want. If you use the Isuzu, everything will bolt right in. If you go with an MG2, you will need to fab up at least one bracket.

You NEED to use all the 5 spd mount brackets (both engine and body side) or you WILL have drivetrain alignment issues. Again, if you use the MK7, everything is direct bolt in, with the MG2, you will need to modify some brackets.

For axles, you will need the complete set for whatever trans you use (MK7 is two axles, MG2 is two axles and an intermediate shaft).

The details are the same for both trannys- shifter and pedals. The shift cables are different between the two trannys, but you can swap them if absolutely necessary.

Check out the 5 spd swap guide at V6Z24.com, and while you're there, search for a thread I wrote years back showing how to swap an MG2 into a 4 cyl car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search