Error codes for an '88 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Error codes for an '88
Friday, July 08, 2011 6:42 PM
Where can I find an error code listing for an 88? My check engine light came on and I diagnosed it with a paperclip. I have an error code of 24.

Re: Error codes for an '88
Friday, July 08, 2011 10:10 PM
Obd 1 is easy and applies to ALL Js with this.Your code 24 is vehicle speed sensor (vss) circuit. Quote from manual to explain --- A fault in this circuit should be indicated only while the vehicle is IN motion.Disregard code 24 if set when drive wheels are NOT turning.Check connections a the ecm ,check the TPS setting. Now my two cents disconnect the battery for a minute or two.This will clear the code.Next you can CHECK your tps with a multimeter to ensure it is operating properly.IF you do not know how check out this site http://www.wellsve.com You can go to the archives newletters for 1997-2000 and find the segment for TPS. However I have another link here on the j to check the TPS http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=28&i=11739&t=11739 Go to december 9,2010 date has each step to check the tps.If the car does NOT hesitate on acceleration or choke,or loss of power I would not bother with things!If you soley checked for codes and this POPPED up undue ur battery grd cable and let it be off for a few minutes it will reset the ECM being this is a BS code unless ur throttle has actually caused some real problems (or the tps is going down and has some wear points).

Sunday, July 10, 2011 5:36 PM
If you go to Half price books(or another used book store), you can get the Haynes repair manual for that car. It has a list of the codes specific to the vehicle and their meanings. And the books are much cheaper used than new.
Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:42 PM
Thanks guys
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search