Clutch noise - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch noise
Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:30 PM

1990 z24 3.1 sfi
When the car is idling i hear a rattle out of the bell housing. when i push in the clutch it stops, release and it starts again. its queit but i can still notice it with windows closed. Also just started since i did a tune up. any thoughts?

Re: Clutch noise
Monday, August 01, 2011 8:51 PM
That sounds like the classic release bearing is going bad.Being clutch in,NO noise,clutch OUT noisy.I would suggest just getting a full clutch kit done.If you do it yourself u just save money.And if u have a shop do it,get your flywheel machined and if it real bad they will tell you like bad hot spots,cracks at the bolts that hold it on.Just with the age of the car,I honestly would get a NEW flywheel,over machining the old if it can be.NO idea on a clutch kit cost but guessing 150.00 for a good kit maybe more but a average price for a FULL kit.And def get the rear main seal done being it probably never has been replaced.Now that part is dirt cheap.

Monday, August 01, 2011 10:13 PM
Thats in line with what i was thinking. Im going to do the job myself. Never done a clutch on my own before but ive seen it done. Off the top of you head do you know the torque specs on bolts on flywheel and the clutch itself? also torque spec on bell housing? I dont have the book. Anyway ill probably get to that one a little down the road. The noise isnt loud, you can barly hear it over the exhaust but im picky. how long do you think it can go before it strands me?

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:08 PM
If it is not that loud you have some time(but not yrs).If the release brg were to fail it would probably lock the trans up,tear up the clutch assembly or just just lock and not shift and number of scenarios really.As for specs easy but,not going to dig out my 3 books haynes,chiltons, are the brands.I will list the torque stuff later.Long work day and not that dialed in on specifics on reading.I will post it up wed.Just a note I rode probably six months with my trks r b being noisy and no problems,and it was def noisy!!I just waited to do said work on it,dropg the trans in it about 3-4 hr job total,bc I jackstand it all around etc.I have not done a fwd but I know I can.Just other things make it diff in the process.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:35 PM
okay im looking to go a little while on it. your 3 - 4 hours is probably like my 8 or 9 haha But thats about as good as i could hope for ill take it easy on the old beast

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:35 PM
[list=clutch cover housing bolts 10 ft lbs]
[list=transaxle mount mount to trans bolts 40 ft lbs]
[list=mount to side frame bolts are 40 the nuts are 23 ft lbs]
[list=mount thru bolt 95-118 ft lbs]
[list=Transaxle to engine bolts 55 ft lbs]
[list=clutch pressure plate to flywheel bolts 15 ft lbs]
[list=flywheel and drive plate mounting bolts 50 ft lbs ]

I may have overlooked some,but heck these should be some or all of what u will eventually need.No problem to reference back to the book,and I would go with a chiltons book over haynes,but I am referring to a haynes on this bc my chiltons is for 82-87.Haynes is 82-94 go figure.Yard work kicketh a-- today but wanted to give u some info for reference.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:25 PM
Thank you very much, much apreciated. ill let you know how it goes

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search