1988 Z24 wont start, stay running - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1988 Z24 wont start, stay running
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:24 AM
I have a 1988 Z24 with 158,000 on it. Car has been sitting. If left alone it will start for a few seconds then quit. I put a new CPS on it and checked the fuel pressure. Once it stalls there appears to be good spark and fuel pressure but it will not restart. Any idea? Thanks...Brian

Re: 1988 Z24 wont start, stay running
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:45 PM
Umm It actually could be the harness that plugs into the cps has a short.Unless your coil packs or pack are weak might explain that symptom.Being you checked your psi for fuel would rule out ur pump.It def sounds like a electrical problem.I am not sure what to suggest beyond this at the moment.Check your harness for weak points in the wiring cps and they do sell a harness replacement if I am not mistaken.Maybe others can chime in.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:33 AM
Ok...I have a further mystery. After some research I thought I found the problem. The oil pressure switch. All the things I have read seems to show it on the side of the engine near the starter. I bought a switch (the oil pressure gage was not working) and after alot of searching found it on top near the end of the fuel rail....that said it looks like there are two part numbers for the oil pressure sensor switch? Are there two?

After all the the car will still start after sitting and run for a minute or two then stall. will not restart. when cranking it will almost grab now but will not. New parts, Fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, ignition module, fuel pressure switch (on top of intake), CPS....Next?

Thank you.

B
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:03 AM
I am going to varify fuel pressure via the fuel rail today hopefully.

Will also search the CPS harness for issues. No codes are being thrown at this time as well.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:15 AM
Also cruise control has been working off and on lately. Possibly the VSS going bad?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:53 AM
Lol sorry. Wrong post. iPhone fail.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:55 PM
You should have only 1 switch for oil pressure(to the best of my knowledge).Not knowing the specific eng 2.8 to the letter,it should have a 2 prong plug going to the oil pressure sensor switch.Because you actually have a guage it registers pressure and ties into the fuel system IF it does NOT read psi coming off the oil press sender it will KILL the engine.It is a safety system to shut it down bc no oil (bad) registering on the gauge kills the fuel supply.The oil press switch grounds when it reads the pressure and alloys the fuel pump to work to start and run the engine.The only reason 2 switches may be listed is because some Js did not come with gauges to read oil press and have 1 for a dummy light,and one for oil press for the ecm to read.My 2.0 has 2 bc I have no gauge one dash light(reads OIL) if low or not registering and the other is the pressure swtch.Hope this clarifies things and ON advance auto or even most auto parts sites it should specify with OR with out a guage on said part explaining the 2 parts for said engine.Hope this helps.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:47 AM
Like Ron said, there are two different switches, one for cars with the gauge, one for those with the dummy light. They are different lengths. You need the long switch since you have the gauge. The switch is located next to the oil filter, so I have no idea why you're doing anything around the fuel rails.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search