90 3.1L automatic Z24 issues.. stalls in gear.. not TCC.. - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
90 3.1L automatic Z24 issues.. stalls in gear.. not TCC..
Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:01 PM
So here's the story.

1990 3speed auto Z24 with the 3.1L. Within 6 months I have replaced the fuel pump and all associated parts in the tank, coil packs, spark plug wires, spark plugs, and currently have the TCC solenoid unplugged due to it failing.

Main issue currently is the fact it stalls in gear. Idles perfect in Park/Neutral. Idles perfect while in gear (R,D,2,1). No misfire when giving the engine a load test (brake and gas at same time while in gear). I can hear the fuel pump priming with ignition.

Long story short. The vehicle stalls when it begins to move in gear (with or without throttle applied).

I can force it through the bucking and get the car down the road, however, the first deceleration it will chug and stall before stopping the car.

Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks!

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog

Re: 90 3.1L automatic Z24 issues.. stalls in gear.. not TCC..
Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:11 PM
I was going iac but,said umm maybe not the case.However your EGR maybe gummed up not holding vacumm and yes it will choke it down like a b!!!!.I am not sure on your model yr but,if it has a vacumm line going to it,remove it,and duplicate your drvg and see if any difference.Unless no vac line,remove it and clean thoroughly with carb cleaner and toothbrush or even a flat head screw driver to remove the carbon buildup which can totally choke the engine.If after cleaning better then ur ok,but if the same could be ur diaphram inside the egr is loosing vacumm and deterioated and needs to be replaced.Granted this may not help or it may but,what comes to mind.Bc MOST people over look this component for years and causes any # of issues with idle,under a load, etc.Check it u might be suprised it is toast who knows.I may be wrong with my general assement.Ok also if ur tcc is toast change your fluid and filter regardless bc that is what FRIED the switch to start with.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:54 AM
Thanks! Will inspect egr and go from there!

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:25 PM
I let the car warm up today. Took it for a drive. Did perfect the first mile or 2 then decided to chug and buck around. I've made no changes at this point.

threw the code 23.. which is IAT/MAT...

Confused now..

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:01 PM
unplugged VSS. Works fine now. Speedo is cable so all is well.

Scan tool showed VSS reading 108mph and killing ignition.

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 4:49 PM
New VSS didn't solve the issue. Going to have to trace the wiring... ugh.

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 5:15 PM
leave the speedo out just run the tach by now u should know how fast your goin based on tach speed

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, December 06, 2011 6:48 PM
Speedo is cable driven... Only thing I've lost is cruise control and I believe the VSS controlled the tcc as well.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:22 PM
mine does the same thing but with throttle applied
Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:29 AM
I've seen a MAP sensor cause bucking & stalling in a V6 Chevy Celebrity from that timeframe.
Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:47 PM
idk its weird

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search