instrument cluster 91 cav 3.1 convertible instrument cluster - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
instrument cluster 91 cav 3.1 convertible instrument cluster
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:15 AM
Hi all,

I just bot a 91 cav RS conv with 3.1 engine. Its instrument cluster has speedo/odo on left, temp and oil gauges across the top, fuel under those in the center, and tach and tripmeter on the right. It's not cable driven. It has servomotors for the gauges and the odometer feeds the tripmeter by gear connection.

I need one part from this thing, so if anyone has a junk cluster with this part intact, I'd be interested.

The part I need is the plunger you press to reset the tripmeter to 0000. It is a square shaft about 3 inches (?) long and has a u-shaped hook on the inside end to snag the metal shaft it has to move to reset the tripmeter. The u-shaped hook is broken off mine.

I've got no clue if other design clusters use this same plunger for their manual (not LED digital) tripmeters.

If you have one, please let me know.

Re: instrument cluster 91 cav 3.1 convertible instrument cluster
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:17 PM
Not sure how the clusters are for your model yr.I see them all the time at my pull a parts yards.It might be easier to just swap clusters or just get a cluster and swap said part.I go all the time as you can look on this forum and see my thread for 2nd gen parts requested!I can probably get a whole cluster for about 20-25 bux guess cost and I will charge a touch more just due to my time,removal,and shipg cost.I do use paypal and ship fedex ground.I do not have cluster for your specifics but can be found.My thoughts on this.I see your NEW here and welcome to the jbody.Just fill in some more info on your car in your personal info,on your home page.Ron

Friday, December 30, 2011 2:13 PM
Switching the entire cluster would be much easier.

Sunday, January 01, 2012 4:17 PM
I fixed it, I fixed it. Super glue didn't work, but plastic epoxy held for a few days and then sort of broke, so I reglued with the epoxy and reinforced it with the legs of about 7 standard staples which I clipped off the line of staples. The tripmeter reset pushbutton shaft actually plays a key part in the tripmeter operation, because the springloaded part of the reset plunger holds the number-wheel gears against the gear connecting the tripmeter to the odometer. So, my instrument panel is ALL better. (til the next time).

I hope all that makes sense to someone with a mechanical tripmeter under the tach ... I learned a lot from this.

Thanks for your comments!

Richard
Sunday, January 01, 2012 8:26 PM
I see a used cluster in your future.Your fix may help but,I have reservations about it long term.I am going junking monday and will see if any 91 or so with said engines are there with clusters(just checking) bc I think your fix may hit a curve ball bc of the small working of said components.It is good you fixed it don't get me wrong,just looking at with a open view especially with gm stuff.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search