Door Window Sweeps - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Door Window Sweeps
Monday, April 02, 2012 1:56 PM
I would like to buy a set of the black trim that fits on the outside of all four windows for a 1989 Cavalier Z24 convertible. It would include the window sweeps. I don't care about the rubber sweeps condition. I may have found a source for the weatherstripping and I would like to buy a set to see if I can get it to fit. Thanks.

Re: Door Window Sweeps
Monday, April 02, 2012 2:46 PM
Post Here, Ron might be able to find some.

Monday, October 22, 2012 2:16 PM
Terry

did you ever find the window sweeps?
Monday, November 05, 2012 5:46 PM
I bought the sweeps new; however, the original trim piece had the sweep molded into the trim extrusion. I had to cut the bottom off of the original trim piece. I then cut out the places on the sweeps to match the aluminum trim piece. I attached three clips that Ron Love (thanks) gave me to attach the rubber sweep to the aluminum trim piece. It also is used to attach the piece to the top of the driver's door. I used very flat, aluminum post bolts and cut them with my Dremel tool to the thickness of the sweep and trim piece. I drilled the trim piece with the sweep clamped into place. Once I had the sweep attached, it fit snugly with the clips on the top of the door.

I highly suggest that if anyone tries this, be sure to make the vertical cuts on the rubber strips (sweeps) with tin ships and not a Dremel tool. I ruined a $ 50 sweep when the cutting blade ate up a small section. The rubber sweep has an aluminum strip impregnated into it. I have pictures of the sweep if anyone is interested. I would have preferred to buy new ones, but I guess they are non-existent.
Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:35 PM
I am adding a touch of info here.The convertible 2nd gens have a solid sweep END where the post would be in a coupe 2nd gen. Now next shows a coupes window sweep end and notice the end where the steel window guide goes and is about 3/8 to 1/2 groove cut for fitment. I have found a set of driver side and passenger side window sweeps out of a 93 cavalier that are def up for sale. These are def aged some ,but with 1 or 2 cracks in rubber against glass.Metal on topside is straight and some wear (mild dent) on one I will fix asap but freaking nice,for the age.Just adding some info in case others may not know what I learned on the 2nd gen sweeps vert over coupe as the 1st gens this was not the case at all.These do come with the mirror bracket assembly (minus mirror and foam) and done for now.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:35 PM
I know this post is old but I need 92 vert sweeps for all windows and have had no luck finding them. Any ideas? The molding is not so bad but the part that goes against the glass has chunks missing. Is there a way to replace just the felt part?
Friday, May 17, 2013 3:31 PM
the window sweep material can be purchased from Restoration Specialties of Windber PA. 814-467-9842 They have a downloadable catalog. It is part number YMR260X. It comes in 8ft lengths, but have them cut it into 3 lengths that you need to do your doors and 1 quarter window section because the smaller lengths are cheaper to ship. The material is $30 a section. I buy this material from them at swap meets to save on tax and shipping. There are a number of posts on the replacement procedures on the v6z24 forum which also shows pictures. The material cuts easily with a dremel tool and cut off wheels, but makes a mess. Its a long slow task, but turns out really nice if you take your time and can save your door bottoms because the water will not be running inside your doors. I think it took me about 3-4 hours to do one side and that is all I have completed at this time, but need to do it a bunch more times this summer since I have 3 convertibles it needs done to.

To make a glass removal tool to take off the big threaded washers, my dad just took an old cracked socket I had and cut off the sides of the socket about a 1/4" deep from the end, leaving 2 prongs that stick up, that are opposite one another. Those prongs then fit into the holes of the glass retaining washer. By taking the glass out this way, you will not have to disturb the window tracks and have the tedious task of realigning your windows later to keep out the window noise. This is also a great way to take a junk tool and breathe new life and important meaning back into it.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:09 PM
Thanks for the info Bill Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search