AC swap? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AC swap?
Friday, November 23, 2012 4:39 PM
I have a 92 Cavalier with AC and a 94 without. is it within the range of possibilities to swap the AC from one to the other. Both are coupes, same engine, but one is a 5 speed and the other is an automatic.

dave

Re: AC swap?
Friday, November 23, 2012 8:32 PM
Idk why not unless gm altered the AC components somehow.James cahill may better answer this being a 2nd gen guy.Same engine,auto or manual should not matter on this option being it would just be missing well all the ac stuff brackets and etc to swap over.Just a thought.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:07 PM
It can be done. But it is going to be a boatload of work. Swapping dash controls, ac condenser, ducting and all associated under hood components. As long as you have both cars to swap from it will make it much easier see how it all works.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO0RaHm0VutezIjCYBA7ggh6g1awGTFszr9_U35
Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:47 AM
It I'll not be too hard. You will probably have to pull the dash out. Probably take a weekend to do everything. I removed my AC two years ago. It was a nightmare to keep working. Those aluminum lines near the ratiator like to split open. Had it happen on 3 jbodies 89, 91, 91.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:50 PM
It's do-able, but is time consuming. For the most part, you just need to swap over the hard parts, since the wiring should already be in the harness. If it isn't (which would be surprising), then you'll have to swap the harness over as well. Best bet is to strip both cars down to bare firewall on both sides (dash, harness, ducting, etc) and go from there.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:50 PM
Thanks guys, I'll think it over!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search