1990 z24 leaking oil out into the air filter box - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1990 z24 leaking oil out into the air filter box
Saturday, April 06, 2013 11:49 AM
Hey I have a 3.1 z24 5 spd and it has been leaking oil into the intake somewhere and it is running out of the filter onto the ground. In a tank of fuel it leaks about. 2 liters any ideas on things to check

Re: 1990 z24 leaking oil out into the air filter box
Monday, April 08, 2013 11:04 PM
IF oil is blowing into the air cleaner I would do several things.Check your pcv for blockage.What kind of mileage does your ride have?Might be blow by coming from the rings due to internal engine wear.I am not savy on the 2nd gen stuff but,have seen several like your yr in the pull a part yards with similar issue oil all over inside the air cleaner tubing(rubber) and or air box.This is a sign of wear.I might suggest doing a compression test and have your valves been adjusted lately.Idk kind of throwing ideas and def tired so I maybe over thinking or missing the obvious.I saw this post the other day and forgot to make comments.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:22 PM
Real worn or broken rings are the culprit is my guess..............................................

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:31 PM
Hey forgot I made this post, verdict so far was pcv valve as it had not been changed in at least 80 to 100000km. The car has 300000 kms on the odometer. I made the mistake of using non Delco plugs and wires so as soon as those arrive I'll do that and check compression while I'm in there. Oil issue stopped with pcv valve however so a new air filter and some throttle body cleaner and away I went that was about 6 months ago anyway.
Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:32 PM
Or three months that felt like 6
Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:57 PM
Wow people try 4. I see math is not strong today.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search