92 Z24 Ignition Lock Assembly Replacement - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
92 Z24 Ignition Lock Assembly Replacement
Sunday, January 13, 2013 6:34 AM
My daughter's 92 Z24 has what I suspect is a bad ignition lock assembly. You have to hold the key in the on position to keep the car running or the key will turn back to the off position. My question is, how do you replace the assembly? Do I have to take the steering wheel off, or can I take the cover off the steering column? Also, are their any tricks or potential issues to be aware of? I looked through the forums and didn't see this answered anywhere. I've done key and tumbler assembly's on other cars but they basically popped right out. Any help is appreciated.

Re: 92 Z24 Ignition Lock Assembly Replacement
Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:25 AM
I just talked to someone who said they think the problem is the ignition switch rather than the ignition lock assembly. Thoughts?
Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:02 PM
Wow. Not one reply? Well, for anyone else facing a similar problem it was the ignition switch and not the ignition lock/key assembly. The repair manual basically tells you to remove the steering wheel and the remove the steering column from the car. Don't follow the manual.

You do not need to completely remove the steering wheel. First you do need to remove the panel that contains your horn (you will have to disconnect it as well). Then remove the 6 torx head screws from the steering wheel. Remember the position your steering wheel was in so you do not mess up your alignment in the process.

After that, you will remove the top and bottom panels behind the steering wheel. There should be 3 torx screws holding the bottom panel in. Remove those. You will also need to remove the handle on the left hand side of the steering wheel that adjusts the height of the steering wheel. It screws off. There will be two torx screws, one on either side of the steering wheel that connect the top and bottom panels together. Remove those. The panels should come apart fairly easily after this. Remove both of the panels. The ignition switch will be on the bottom left side of where the steering wheel was. It is held in by two screws and have two sets of wires coming out of it. Remove the screws first as this will allow you to remove the wires easier. Remove the two sets of wires.

After this, take your new ignition switch and reverse the process: put the wires back in, put the screws back in and secure it in place (Before you put everything back together, temporarily reconnect your battery to make sure everything works. Disconnect your battery after the test and start reassembling.), replace both of the panels and screw in the two screws that hold the two panels together, put the three screws under the bottom panel back in place, put the steering wheel back on in the same position that you took it off and screw it back in place, reconnect your horn and put the panel for the horn back in place, and screw the handle to adjust your steering wheel height back into place. Reconnect your battery. After that, you should be good to go.
Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:29 PM
Seems you answered your own ? on how to do this.I have removed several 1st gen steering wheels and I know ultimately I will have to replace my ignition switch too,it is not bad,just my accessory side has some wear.Anyway glad you found the problem and granted the 2nd gens literally share the same setup GM did not change that,AND I know that after yanking a couple of wheels on some second gens for some pieces I wanted.If your unsure about some things on the car you have and get zero replies here pop over on the 1st gen forum and ask there are alot of us and I do check this forum along with some others who do check in here.Tired and done for now.

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:36 AM
Ron, thanks for the advice about checking the 1st gen forums. Appreciate the idea.
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:34 PM
Most of us 2nd gen guys hang out at www.v6z24.com, but even there it's slowing down.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:47 PM
i am in the process of changing one out right now. In my 91 z24, mine had the 2 bolts that didn't have heads on them, they rounded them off in the factory. some people say they have those and some have normal bolts in them. if there rounded off prepare for a fight ... unless you have a drill bit and an easy out that's small enough

PS mine was doing the same thing yours is doing, plus mine would sometimes be all locked up and wouldn't turn no matter how hard you twisted.

94' Camaro z28 a4= bolt-ons and cam
91' Cavalier z24 a3= stock DD
Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:53 PM
If it locks up and will not turn it is probably a warn key. I have 3 keys for my car and one is so warn it will not lock the cylinder after turning the car off. I can start the car without the key. I can also take the key out while it is on. Sometimes it would lock up on me too and not turn. If I use my new keys no issues. The only time I had to replace it was when I melted the entire ingnition module in the column and had to replace everything. I believe my stereo was draining my battery so much the constant changes in voltage melted everything in there. I haven't had any issues since then other than the warn key.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search