4t40 swap in a 93 cavalier - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4t40 swap in a 93 cavalier
Friday, June 14, 2013 10:41 AM
i have a buick century with a 4t40.. and my 3t40 went out.. can i swap it? how hard and what all would i need from said donor car

Re: 4t40 swap in a 93 cavalier
Friday, June 14, 2013 11:16 AM
I think the 4t40e is controlled by the pcm, where as the 3t40 isn't. I could be wrong though.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, June 14, 2013 11:34 AM
Not 100% sure but I don't think it's been done before, been talked about quite a bit though. Off the top of my head though if the 4t40 isn't pcm controlled as there were some in early fwd A-bodies that weren't you'll need to fab new transmission mounts, axles etc...
If you have a v6 over in the 1st gen forums someone recently did a rebuild with a 3spd auto with different gears to lower their rpms for better fuel mileage.

Friday, June 14, 2013 10:36 PM
thx
Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:08 AM
Spike J wrote:Not 100% sure but I don't think it's been done before, been talked about quite a bit though. Off the top of my head though if the 4t40 isn't pcm controlled as there were some in early fwd A-bodies that weren't you'll need to fab new transmission mounts, axles etc...
If you have a v6 over in the 1st gen forums someone recently did a rebuild with a 3spd auto with different gears to lower their rpms for better fuel mileage.

I believe you are thinking of the 440-T4, which is the non-electronically controlled version of the 4T60E (essentially a 4T60, using GM's transmission naming procedures).

I have no information on anything else though, as I've never even had to work on either of these transmissions before, but I'm in for more information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Corsica and a bunch of trucks too...
Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:18 AM
Koots wrote:
Spike J wrote:Not 100% sure but I don't think it's been done before, been talked about quite a bit though. Off the top of my head though if the 4t40 isn't pcm controlled as there were some in early fwd A-bodies that weren't you'll need to fab new transmission mounts, axles etc...

I believe you are thinking of the 440-T4, which is the non-electronically controlled version of the 4T60E (essentially a 4T60, using GM's transmission naming procedures).

I have no information on anything else though, as I've never even had to work on either of these transmissions before, but I'm in for more information.

Oops your correct it's the TH440-t4/4t60 I'm thinking of.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:38 PM
Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:32 PM
From V6Z24 site:

4T40e's first year was in 95 in the Jbodies.. They do make a 4t40e that bolts up to 3rd gen V6's...

First off DON'T DO A 4t60E swap you are in for wat more work then you'd want to get involved in.. Also the 4t60e is a very poorly built transmission compaired to either the 125 or the 4t40e.. Also you will have to swap in the computer and complete engine bay wiring harness for the 4t60e to make it work..

If you want a 4th gear your best bet would to try and swap in a 440T4/4T60(NON electronic) The transmission is phyricaly larger then a 125 and you might have issues with it hitting the drivers side inner fenderwell.. I don't believe a Jbodies frame is wide enough to commodate the larger transmission.. If you go with a 440T4 looks for an earlier style one with an aluminum side pan.. To swap in a 440t4 your main concerns are going to be a vacume line for the vacume mode, axles and transmission mount.. the 440T4 was only ever in larger GM cars where the transmission mounts were bolted to the lower subframe.. You could probley make a couple of small modifications to the mounting bracket of a Jbody to make it work with a 4speed.. That is if you can get the transmission to fit in the engine bay..

The 4T40e transmission is gms electronic 4speed for its mid/smaller size cars.. my shops considers it to be GM strongest fwd transmission thus far.. It is smaller and skinnier then a 440t4 or a 4t60e so it will fit in a Jbody engine bay.. The problem with swaping this transmission in is the elctronics side of it.. You'll need to swap out the computer and engine bay wiring harness.. Also there isn't a lot of aftermarket availible for that transmission.. The biggest thing you could do to improve performance is an auto transinterceptor and higher stall converter.. If you do want to swap one your best donar car would be a 94 olds achieva... They come with a 3100 V6 and a 4t40e transmission in them.. The achieva is a hybrid between a 3rd gen Jbody and a 2nd gen.. The motor and transmission has the same mounting placements as a 3rd gen.. but uses the lower frames of a second gen..

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:44 PM
Get a 93-4 3t40 ( TH125 C) from here( www.CAR-PART.COM ) and save yourself the the hassle . GM fixed alot of the problems with the early models so they are the best ones. Just putting the original trans in is a pain to do at home....( been there - done that in May)

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:54 PM
I paid $125 for mine with 80K miles on it and a 1 year warranty . Looked and runs like brand new, Brought it with me when I moved here from AZ and it took a 3K mile ocean journey on a container also.

Just go to the site I posted above and search in your state for a low mile "A" rated tranny.

Doug in P.R.

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:54 AM
well I have a donor 3t40 already.. I just wanted more performance... is there is a way to rebuild them to take some punishment? im going to build up a 3100 that I already have, and want something to holdup to it.. the 3100 is going to be built up for a turbo if I ever decide to go that route.. im not building a crazy engine by any means, just want to be able to have some fun!!

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:37 PM
I believe the auto Fieros also used that transmission. I know there are upgrade kits out there might have to seach for the TH125 C designation.

shift kit http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050818-2-060253.html
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:15 AM
well do any of yous guys have a 5 speed? wanna sell it lol!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search