Something special happens for 2nd Gens next year!! - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Something special happens for 2nd Gens next year!!
Saturday, September 07, 2013 5:11 AM
By Golly something occurred to me the other day!

Come January 1st the first of the 2nd Gens - the '89 year models will officially become genuine Antiques!! Looks like the 2nd Gen family is finally growing up....LoL You can be the first of the bunch to run Antique Plates next year too!!

So if you have an '89 - kick back on New Years and have an extra toast on your milestone!!

Now you'll have to start getting busy like your friends over in 1st Gen and start collecting bunches of parts before they all disappear and turn into Chinese made appliances!!

Enjoy the new Cool Factor!!

Re: Something special happens for 2nd Gens next year!!
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:13 AM
Anything 20 years and older is antique in Kansas. I considered antique plates for my Z vert, but they're actually more expensive and more restrictive than a vanity plate.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:31 PM
James I believe I had a brain fart anyways - since the 88's were 2nd gen's too - looks like this isn't your 1st rodeo....

It used to be 20 - 24 years old was considered a Classic and then graduated to Antique status at 25. But everything changes with time.

Personally I think there ought to be a special classification for much older vehicles that have survived. Kinda seems wrong for a 25 year old and a 60 year old to have the same classification, much more for 100 year old restores.

I can't help but wonder how rare some vehicles will become since the Great Scrap Sale to China following the infamous Cash for Clunkers, guess we will see.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:23 AM
I was surprised when I moved here to find it was 20 yrs. In MA, it was 25. KS actually has two 20+ tags. The "classic" tag, which is anything 20+ yrs, totally unmodifed (apart from normal wear items) and the "antique" which allows anything over 20 yrs. So you can have a gasser 56 Chevy and still apply for special tags.

I'm in the same boat as you. Since the advent of the "disposable" age, good, older vehicles have been disappearing and prices keep getting higher. It's sad.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search