1990 gt turbo power loss/stall - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1990 gt turbo power loss/stall
Saturday, November 09, 2013 4:15 AM
few days ago i decided i'd bring my car home. started up first turn and seemed to run fine . got up on the highway and after about 5 minutes i start to lose power.
rpms go way down and have to let off the gas and press again to get to go back up. then just kept getting slower until it completely stopped and just kinda banged a very rough idle on the side of the highway and stalled out. wouldn't start. wouldnt start 8 hrs later either. this morning it started right up and seemed to run fine again. went up the street - worked fine - noticed lost a lot of power on the way back

anyone know what some possibilities are / where to start

Re: 1990 gt turbo power loss/stall
Sunday, November 10, 2013 8:26 PM
This needs to be moved to the 2nd gen forums more EYE'S will see it there being the age of car.Now thoughts on the issue might be fuel related like fuel pump,or maybe bad injector or bad coil (idk with out some more thoughts).I will try to get this moved so if it is not here in maintenance check the 2nd gen forum.I would at least check your fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.Unless it is a exhaust blockage in the cat convertor or muffler(bang sound you said) check your cat and muffler for a HOLE or leak point.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:20 PM
Ok some specs for the fuel system.Your psi check at the Schrader valve should be 26-32psi and that is with the regulator hose connected.With the regulator hose unhooked pressure should increase by 5-10psi. To check the injectors with a multimeter for ohm's it should show 11.8-12.6 ohms with the key ON,not running or even running should be the same.I first would change your fuel filter then IF no change start with the diagnostics above to rule out a fuel problem with the pump itself.If your car is still running with the original pump I seriously would suspect this as part of the issue just with the age of the part.So in short if it turns out the pump is weak after a psi check and a NEW fuel filter I would change the pump and this requires dropping the fuel tank.Not saying this is the problem but,based on the symptoms your pump could be getting weak or maybe have a blockage in the filter if really old.Just some thoughts and hope this helps give you a good start.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:51 AM
thanks for the response. I'll check all of that this weekend !
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search