In need of left front seat belt assembly - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
In need of left front seat belt assembly
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:20 PM
I have a 1994 Cavalier Sedan RS .

As it would be my luck it has the power windows and locks - both been giving me grief. I just finished removing all the power lock components and replaced 2 of the 4 power window motors that were pretty much toast. Replacing the drivers door power motor involved removing the upper seat belt retractor mechanism. Unfortunately after my first drive I realized the upper retractor was seized and had to tear into the drivers door yet again!!

The spring in the retractor is broken.......

Trying to get this Sedan ready for inspection next month so a busted seat belt is the last thing I needed. Search on EBay was fruitless. Any suggestions where I might find one of these? Are the Coupe and Sedan assemblies the same? I have 2 1st Gens and right now am really appreciating their simplicity and reliability!!

Thanks for any leads!!

Re: In need of left front seat belt assembly
Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:44 AM
Going to take a couple of days off next week and hit some salvage yards about an hour away.

Maybe I'll get lucky

Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:22 PM
Hey orlen I can go Friday to my local place and see!let me know so I can plan so and what color

Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:46 PM
Sure thing Ron. Thanks

Darn I wished I had took a couple of photos, but you are very knowledgable so you probably know the PIA these things can be. There is a bracket fitted over these upper retracters that the door panel bolts to. These brackets have 6 rivets holding them on and have to be drilled, chisled, beat or dynamited out of the way. At this point I'm not the least bit picky. Interior is a medium blue, but I'll happily take grey or black. Would use tan or red as a last resort. Thought of getting the belts out of both doors to at least make things match up.

I can get this J reininspected now and always search for the right color later. It car is a great running machine - just has the usual bugs that any car has when we first get them.

Here is a shot I forgot I had of the door:

I am going to pick myself up one of these window switch too when I get a chance. Autozone only wants $271 for this....what are they thinking???

Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:25 PM
Ok I will see what I can do and those belt assemblies in the 2nd are horrid yes.I checked online to see the inventory and they do have like a 91/94 so those would work assuming there decent enough to yank.I guess I will try to get my rear in gear Friday and IF not I will plan for next Friday if I get up too late as I do have one or two things to take care of Friday.I will let ya know if I do go for sure late Friday nite and go from there.

Friday, July 25, 2014 10:43 PM
Ok update no seat belt assembly as the yard only had coupes! I am planning on hitting the yard that's 30 mins out next week as they have MORE mid 90's stuff and a better chance of getting that part.I did go as far as yanking one and then after the fact realized whoa this is probably too long while the same set up it is shorter so I left that part cost would have been ten bucks,but not worth it as it imo would be not correct.My trip next week will be to scope other stuff too so it will be worth my time orlen .

Saturday, July 26, 2014 2:29 AM
They should be the same between coupes and sedans. I'm not sure how you would get one out in a yard though. The bolt at the top isn't removable. Maybe if you hack sawed it off the door.

Saturday, July 26, 2014 4:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up and the extra effort Ron!

I've got a 5 day break scheduled up for next week starting Wednesday. Thursday I'll be going to Roanoke to hit the various Yards there and hopefully hit paydirt somewhere. I will post here later on Thursday when I get back letting you know regarding your plans for next Friday too.

There is another Pink n Save down in Lynchburg also that is affilated with this one in Roanoke so I might make an extra long run if the odds are promising and no luck here in Roanoke. Will advise.

Yeah James, I was wondering about that top hanger myself , haven't gotten that far up on the project yet Hahaa

Saturday, July 26, 2014 11:28 PM
Well if the belts are the same I can GO back and get the one I saved in a cav!!!! I removed the entire assembly and had to cut the seat belt wiring as it goes all the way thru the door into the firewall area.I will say removing the upper attachment at the glass TOP is CAKE!!!!!!!!!! It is just a flat nut that has thread locker on it.I used a socket and my dewalt 20v to remove it and I had the entire assembly out and ready to buy.I held off thinking the belts between the sedan and coupe were different as the coupe doors are longer and it may be in reality idk.I will say on the one I saved it is like grey and did work prior to removing and I left the plug in's to the belts there are 2 in place as I know your originals would just plug in showing the belt was grounded on the dash deal.Let me explain the upper belt hook up.If you remove the rubber cover you see the say bolt go thru the hole and what appears to be a say welded nut(NOT the case).It is a super flat nut that threads on about 3-5 threads of that pivot ball that looks like it is well welded.Now I know the bracket that is U shaped sort of is stuck In between the door metal and heat stamped to seal it forever and that has zero effect on removing the belt assembly.Orlen I will gladly go back and get that grey one it is only 10.00 and it did work.For fun the car I got it out of was a 1994 cav z24 5spd manual and I used my spare dewalt battery to hook up the battey cables with some wire and keys were in the ignition and listen to the radio and it had electric windows but the driver side motor or the switch was toast.The pass side worked fine.For fun I tried cranking it but the dewalt batt and thin wires I had as jumpers were to thin and battery was not strong enuff to get a starter click but it DID try!! Oh the FUN I have in the junkyards.Pic are finally on my computer and just have to upload to photo bucket to share like later this week.I hope I have learned something about 2nd gens and OR shared what to do as these belts are totally removeable and the upper bracket on the door does not have to be touched!!!The nut was metric like 18mm or 17mm tired can not recall.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:10 AM
Sure Ron, if you are up for another trip back to the coupe I'd be mighty grateful!!

I have no idea what I'm bound to find in Roanoke but the last time I went back in the spring they had hauled off all the 2nd gens except one sedan - had no idea I'd be needing a seatbelt back then though. There was even a Coupe there before with the blue interior too that got sent to China. Hindsight is always 20-20. Regardless of my fortune next week I'd definately want a spare and you've already got this one ready to go!

Heck if that ole radio you were playing happends to be a cassette unit I'll be happy to get that too. I use the stock unit in the Sedan and like the tone that it has. Not a fan of the aftermarket jobs anymore as everything comes out of China and , well just seems a bit cheesy to me I guess, I just use one of those good ole fashioned cassette adapters and plug in my cell and listen to MP3s. Be great to have a spare as like everything else it will be hard to find too if mine decides it is time to kaput. Of course if you have to peel the entire dash off around the thing to get to it,just leave it. 1st gens are a snap to get off but these might be a nightmare.........just like those seatbelts!

Thanks for the heads up regarding that upper hanger, I'm gonna tinker around with that next Wednesday when I take the front ABS sensors off and give them a cleaning to see if that might knock out my dash light. Who knows, I might get lucky Hahaa!!

Sunday, July 27, 2014 7:18 AM
Ron - Here an old shot where you can see what kind of unit is in the Sedan. Give you an idea what I already have.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:26 AM
Orlen, Don't get over to the 2nd gen forum too often, but I was talking to Ron on Friday and he mentioned that you need a seatbelt assy for your car. There are a few 2'nd gen coupes at my local yard and I know I could get you a seatbelt assy. If Ron's don't work let me know.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO0RaHm0VutezIjCYBA7ggh6g1awGTFszr9_U35
Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:43 PM
Jeez. I tried to take my upper bolts out and failed. I couldn't even get them to break loose. I ended up cutting the tabs off the window frame. Next time I will try an impact gun.

Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:58 PM
Thanks John! We'll see what happends next week.

Got started painting on the Ranger today and next thing I knew the day had took off and left me Hahaa.....

Well, it sure hasn't been a dull boring 2014, that's for sure!

Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:17 PM
Hmmmm... maybe it would be easier just to buy a whole new door? You may not be lucky enough to find matching paint colors, but it sounds safer since you wouldn't have to mess with the seatbelt yourself in a door that works that you find from a yard or elsewhere, because if you did alter/replace the seatbelt you have in your current door, it may pose some safety risks. AND all the windows/locks would work great, probably! (Or a new door could be a last resort to pass inspection.)
Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:12 PM
Ok orlen will go back and grab the good one.As for the radio I have a pic of that cars interior and will relook at it on my post in the 1st gen as I just posted pics of two rides.James I removed 2 full assemblies at the junk yard and just used my 20v dewalt and it zipped that flat nut right off with no problem as those nuts do have lock tite on the threads.Kind of a long day so short it is for now.

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:33 AM
Super Ron!!

Much relief knowing you have a pair pulled down your way when I head out Thursday. Sometimes desperation makes one buy a part not worth buying - when there is no other option. I still would like a spare pair either way knowing something like this can ruin an inspection in a hurry! This has even got me to thinking the 1st gens too!! Think I'll put a set on my long term shopping list!

Saw on the 1st gen forum the player in question was a CD player so don't worry about pulling that one.

Getting quite an education with these seat belts!! Always something new to experience and learn with J-Bodies!!

Monday, July 28, 2014 9:26 PM
Cool orlen and glad to help out.I guess me being a auto car guy helps and I have taken many parts of lots of junkyard J's making removing stuff a learning curve or great outcome.As for the idea of removing a whole door for seat belts that is 100% silly to me! But I realize being a very mechanical guy gives me the motivation to figure out how things work and try my best not to tear up junkyard cars and remove it correctly to save anything for the next guy.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:45 PM
Scored a pair today at my local Pick N Save!!

Came off a Coupe. The mounting of the retractors is different on the Coupe than on the Sedan - the Sedan is much more difficult. Not sure if the 2 swap out but will make a post once I learn!

Also Rons advice was spot on regarding the top door hanger - 18mm 6pt and a lot of torque and off it comes. I rolled down the window and placed a pipewrench on the swivel so when it rotated it jammed at the door frame. This allowed me to concentrate on the nut and keeping straight firm pressure as I started it off.

Thursday, August 07, 2014 12:35 PM
SUCCESS!!

Coupe and Sedan seat belts ARE a direct Swap!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search