My 89 GT Ragtop - Page 2 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My 89 GT Ragtop
Saturday, June 29, 2013 4:40 PM
sweet!

89 355 s10 blazer
94 sunbird, 2.0 turbo 5spd getrag swap
Turbonetics turbo, intercooler, E85 20psi

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:55 PM
been another half year, wheres the updates bro?

89 355 s10 blazer
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:10 PM
Bought a Volvo 740 and started swapping a 2jz into it haha... So yeah... Sorry.

But on an unrelated note a buddy has the same setup in a opel kadett and between 2 and 4k he is having a very odd stutter issue. When it creeps past that point it makes power again. Compression is a little low at 130 but it shouldn't be bad enough to kill his power band right?
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:13 PM
So whats the story on the bird then? You want to sell anything off it?

89 355 s10 blazer
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:53 PM
Not at this time. The car will be going under the knife here soon once again to get further along. I need to make a trans mount, make sure the axles work and that I can get the 100% custom clutch fw/pp combo to release... Then the axles will be off to rcv to get built. The saga continues... Oh and gratuitous 2jz Volvo picture here...

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:56 PM
Borg s362fmw should easily make 400hp on the factory 440ccs
Friday, May 23, 2014 5:14 PM
So i am back working on the car. axles are a good length, i will get rcv to add about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch back into them so that they do not bottom out or pull out when the suspension travels.

rock auto is being nothing but cunts to me lately so i am taking my business elsewhere to find the parts that i need. going with arp flywheel bolts and arp pressure plate bolts. they will be some time before they get here.

been stupid busy with work so minimal time to work on the car. as the usual... balls.

time to switch places of work or start my own company so i can get back to my hobbies.
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:52 AM
Ok so flywheel and clutch are in place. i had to redrill the pattern into the spec flywheel i got. single mass, 18lbs with a 6 puck solid hub. should be a nightmare to drive haha.
however quite an upgrade from the stock auto.

Now using a dial indicator i have .002 inches of what i would call runout... but i don't think this is the correct term. the fw is off center, like has up and down movement in its rotation. now .002 is like a hair, literally. and the splines allow this much play and a little more. should i be worried about .002"? i mean its less then the thickness of a piece of paper. i just want to be sure im not going to death wobble haha.
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:18 AM
what you could do is get spray paint and spray paint the TALL point in the flywheel in the starter area, so if you DO have a shake, you can drill a little material out in that area...

89 355 s10 blazer
Sunday, August 24, 2014 9:05 AM
Ok well she starts and idles just fine. Needs some work for the throttle cable. Probably going to have to ditch cruise but whatever. Even with filled mounts it idles better then the auto on soft mounts could hav ever dreamed. Clutch pedal works. 6 puck full ceramic engages just fine. It's a quick grab holy @!#$.

Just a few more electrical things to tie up. And a manifold to build. Can't wait.
Monday, August 25, 2014 10:38 AM
Yeah I hate how much vibrations travel through these engines to chassis.

89 355 s10 blazer

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:23 PM
At 2k which is idle right now it's not bad at all. Nothing like my poly mounted speed6. The vibes are 100% better then What the auto did at a 2k idle.
Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:30 PM
why is it idling at 2K???

89 355 s10 blazer
Friday, August 29, 2014 7:40 PM
Cold idle. It levels off at 1000. It vibes minimally under light acceleration. Punch list... Build a manifold and make some sort of down pipe for turbo. Run oil feed. Get new battery. Make ic piping. Install iat. Bleed those things that help you stop should be number one haha.
Monday, September 01, 2014 2:01 PM
Well got the car all togeather and the throwout bearing decided to @!#$ its pants. i guess i didnt check it out for travel... @!#$!!!!!!!!!! must have over extended it. now the car has to come back apart haha..
Wednesday, September 03, 2014 6:29 AM
Well it didn't over extend. It just @!#$ out a chunk of the seal. So I'm waiting for a new throwout. I ordered 2 just in case it happens again. Had the motor apart an out in 5 hours. Getting faster!
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:09 PM
Ok so... wow.

Rotated turbo kit is all done. journal bearing takes a year and a bit to spool haha. but from 4000 to 6000 hold on. nuts.
It should fit any t3 twin scroll v band exhaust turbo. im thinking a gtx 3071 might be the best choice for the car long term.

Exhaust dumps right under the oil pan.
The driveshafts need to be sent out to rcv to be made, none of this home made welded bs.

The spec 6puck kit is killer. so nuts. no chatter, lots of grab. not much for vibes.

all in all the car will need driveshafts, bigger injectors, new fuel pump, a better turbo is a maybe, but for sure an lsd. the open diff is just such a loss of traction its appalling. car has soo much more if it could just keep both tires spinning not just one with the least traction.
I will be sure to get pictures when there is some daylight or some shop lighting to be had.
Saturday, December 06, 2014 7:19 PM

Sunday, December 07, 2014 9:46 AM
Nice, Hows she running? What tune are you using?

89 355 s10 blazer
Sunday, December 07, 2014 11:30 AM
Its running not too bad. idle is 13.7, load is 14.8. wot is high 12's low 13's. im not happy with that. But its the stock tune, stock injectors, stock map, and a 25 year old pump. i plan on going to like an 044 or a 255lph something or other.

Its just the stock ecu, no tuning yet because its still on welded axles.,only 8-9 psi. i wanted to test them first to make sure the length is good. when they are as level as the suspension gets i can move them about 1/4 inch inward still so i know they are ok, they have about 2" of total movement in the joint. at max droop and compression i can move them like a inch and a quarter.

I really wanna run 15-16 psi with water meth. thats my final goal, i just don't wanna break stuff considering how much is home made on the car. from the flywheel modifications to the transmission mount. im not 100% sure on my fabrication skills, but with almost 1000K on welded axles im sure its going to be ok.

I gutted the rear seats, probably pulled out 60-80 lbs. of @!#$ in the rear. once i fully gut the car and figure out how i can make the top manual and not power im sure there is a few more lbs to be lost there, considering its hydraulic and there is much oil and lines to be thrown out. in the summer the pump barely works any how.

I really need to tap your brain on what you did for tuning since you have the result i am looking for.
Sunday, December 07, 2014 12:00 PM
Ahh right on, yeah thats lean mab! I hope you have knock detection.

I'm running a turbo trans am fuel pump which is dirrct replacement and cheaper than sunbird pump. Im running some big ass 72 lb injectors and i can feed enough E85 fuel at 20psi i could flood the engine out if i commanded enough fuel.

I also reccomend e85 instead of acky injection. (if e85 is avaliable in your area)

89 355 s10 blazer

Friday, January 09, 2015 8:44 PM
full exhaust built and egt probe welded in. i didnt wanna pull the mani so i just put it post turbo. i plan to weld another bung pre turbo off the runner closest to the distributor.

3" exhaust from the turbo back.

Here is the downpipe.

the center section is boring as it is just a straight piece...

this is the part that goes up and over the ass end.

turndown for what???

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 6:15 AM
man i love the build Mzspd6 i have a first gen sunbird sedan that im building and your build gives me alot of inspiration to me for my build i didnt think of a turbo for my 1.8 litter and try to squeeze power from it ultimatly i love your bird and i just would loved to be updated on the progress its just to amazing and i am building my bird with my father as a father son build id think this would be a great idea for our car

I'm new to the scene ... I'm 18 and i have a 1985 Pontiac Sunbird sedan...
Friday, January 30, 2015 7:31 PM
I dont really know too much about the 1.8's

this build is a long way from being done too, i hope to run a gtx28 or a 3071 as the final turbo. some sort of ignition controller for a 2 step, maybe 3 step with launch control and ignition retard for flat foot shifting. needs real axels not my welded ones. a better fuel pump and larger injectors. one more transmission mount as you can feel the motor rock a bit more then i like. and finally it is going to need a good tune.
the oil patch is slowing down so i can't just be buying parts all gung ho, but one day that will change. perhaps i just need to change jobs or find a plan b. i'm always open to new opportunities.

I appreciate the compliment. i dont have any kids as of yet but i can only hope to get them into the hobby one day.

somehow i missed uploading this photo of when i was building the manifold.

Thursday, February 05, 2015 5:51 AM
well from my knowledge the 2.0 and 1.8's are basically the same just little minor details and hey im only 17 its my first car and im just trying my hand at building a bad azz first gen out of it.... but like i saw bro your bird is inspiring my build i love the fact that there are people out there that still actually wanna build a nice street able ride out of these first / second gens .... and its not a honda or a toyota its a standout of the crowd car thats my main goal build for my build but keep us updated on the progress id love to see the car when it gets done bro it looks like its going to be bad jazz.

I'm new to the scene ... I'm 18 and i have a 1985 Pontiac Sunbird sedan...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search