another window gasket question - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
another window gasket question
Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:32 PM
what do you do about the window gasket. the gasket that runs the length of the door where the window goes up and down, the one that keeps the rain out of the door. mine have just about had it. they are the typical door window wipers, missing pieces. i know these cannot be bought on an aftermarket basis BUT can i buy generic seals and cut them to fit? sourcing parts for these cars is the hard part. when i had my camaro the parts were easy to find but expensive. allot of these parts are nearly non-existent. that's the problem its not that they aren't a good car its that you cant get certain parts. im confident this car will be around for another decade so long as there i dont get in any accidents. dont know if i will be able to get any parts for it in a decade.

Re: another window gasket question
Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:50 PM
i will call softseal tomorrow and find out if they have what i need
Friday, June 27, 2014 12:15 PM
I called softseal and they don't have window sweeps for my car
Friday, June 27, 2014 5:42 PM
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/viewtopic,p,1440562.html

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:42 PM
I used the black rtv silicone gasket material and ran a bead down the entire gasket, then i used a piece of cardboard to make it flush and uniform. I would recomend leaving the window rolled up though since it allows the compound to get nice and tight against the glass. I have an 84 skyhawk and had this same problem the older doors were rotted completely through the bottom because the gaskets dry rotted to hell. I would also recommend to drill drain holes in the bottom of the doors to prevent this from happening.
Monday, October 13, 2014 5:29 AM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search