94 cavalier 2.2 pcm wiring - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
94 cavalier 2.2 pcm wiring
Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:07 PM
ok so i get a check engine light comes on some times while driving it runs fine but when i go to jump the a and b connector so what wiring is at the ecu that i can trace to see where it might be broke

Re: 94 cavalier 2.2 pcm wiring
Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:52 PM
What exactly are you asking? Please use complete sentences and punctuation, that way we can understand what your problem is.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 8:50 PM
ok so i have a 94 2.2 cavalier, and every so often my check engine light comes on. So I tried jumping pins A and B on the aldl connector and no codes flash. So what I wanted to know is what wire at the ECM do i have to check coming from the ecm to the aldl connector so i can fix it , or at least jump it from the ecm.
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:12 PM
You followed these steps? You sure you did not mess any of the steps up? It has always worked on all my cars for me.
http://www.v6z24.com/howto/codes

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, August 02, 2012 5:53 AM
Yes i did try it that way and all my check engine light does is stays solid it won't flash. Im thinking maybe the B wire is broken since The A wire is ground and i checked it and its good. So what I wanted to know is for connector B what wire at the ecm is for connector b going to the aldl connector?
Saturday, August 04, 2012 5:01 PM
So does any one have a solution? The car does seem to run fine when the check engine light comes on and it does not always come on ever time i drive just some times. but like i said when i jump a and b on the aldl connector it wont flash a code the light just stays solid.
Thursday, August 09, 2012 12:21 PM
Check your computer ground wires, as the come loose from vibrations.

Happened to me on a 84 S10 2.5 , had a mechanic ride along with the analizer hooked up said the readings were jumping all over the place,he couldnt figure it out.

I went home and found a bunch of loose ground wires that were attached to the intake manifold stud. Cleaned and tighened them up, and no more problems!

Doug in Az

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, August 09, 2012 12:41 PM
The data wire at the ECM is pin D12. There is one splice with the ABS controller before it goes to the ALDL port. All the colors are orange.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:26 PM
ok so you say the ground wires are on the manifold ok i will check there. Also could it just be a bad ecm?
Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:42 PM
Not sure on your motor the ground wires attach, just look for 3 or 4 black wires together attached somewhere to an engine bolt or stud.

Doug in Az

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:05 AM
Tried to get flash codes from another 94 cavalier and that one wouldn't flash the check engine light also. Could those both just have had bad ecms?

Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:15 PM
Did you ever check the data wire? The entire flowchart in the service manual revolves around that wire. I doubt two ECMs were bad.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:37 PM
What do you mean by checking it? Like trace it back to the ecm and make sure its not broke somewhere?
Monday, August 20, 2012 6:50 AM
Yes. You asked for the diagram to do that, but never said if you did or not.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:57 PM
ok so i traced it back to the ecm and tried grounding that wire and the check engine light still didn't flash. So would that mean the ecm is bad? the car runs the light only comes on some times while I'm driving on the high away but doesn't run weird.
Sunday, September 02, 2012 8:03 PM
Ok, so I'm reading this entire thing again, and I realized that I totally missed something, it will never work for you, since it's a 94 2.2. That year is OBD 1.5, and the paper clip trick doesn't work for it. It will work on a 93 2.2, and on a 94 3.1, but not a 94 2.2. Really the only way I know of to pull a code from a 94 2.2 is with a scan tool. Not one of the code readers you can buy for $30 (since if you read the compatible models the 94 2.2 is not listed), but an actual can tool, Snap On brick, or a Sun machine, etc.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:05 PM
Even if its the 12 pin connector and not the 16 pin connectpr
Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:05 PM
Yes. It's a crossover year. The wiring is all OBD1, but the ECM acts like OBD2, so it will physically take a code reader, but the correct serial communication isn't present for anything but an actual scan tool. 95 started the 16 pin ALDL, so it wasn't an issue trying to use a clip, since it wasn't even possible.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:38 AM
Can a knock sensor be used with a "94 PCM?
Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:58 PM
Since it came with one from the factory, yes.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search