89 Cavalier Wheel Upgrade - Page 2 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 89 Cavalier Wheel Upgrade
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:36 PM
Got a part number on the cap? ( not the chevy logo center) #6 on the diagram

Cant find any at all.............

Doug in P.R
Attachments
8907141J05-003.jpg (93k)

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 1:38 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:Got a part number on the cap? ( not the chevy logo center) #14 on the diagram

Cant find any at all.............

Doug in P.R

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, July 30, 2015 11:55 AM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote: If you found new ones on EBay then save them as spares ( center caps are allways worth something later down the road) Doug in P.R.
I am not saving anything, the ones I have are going. My question is whether I should just trash 'em.

92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:Got a part number on the cap? ( not the chevy logo center) #6 on the diagram
The assembly is numbers 14 and 15 in your diagram. The part numbers are 14087246 and 14068765, respectively.

92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:Cant find any at all............. Doug in P.R
There are a couple of EBAY listings.

There are other sites offering them, but I am betting most (all?) do not actually have them.

Meh, I might throw the couple I have up on Ebay for cheap.
Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:43 PM
What are you going to use then?
2 for $40 aint bad for new.............seen some rare plastic HBody ones sell for over $100 a piece.

I would put them on the bay.............someone would have a set with the 2 already on there.... even your 2 are rough.

Doug in P.R.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:18 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:What are you going to use then?
2 for $40 aint bad for new.............seen some rare plastic HBody ones sell for over $100 a piece.

I would put them on the bay.............someone would have a set with the 2 already on there.... even your 2 are rough.

Doug in P.R.

Just seen one on EBay has 4 new ...........not bad for $80+

Doug in P.R.

Feedback...
Tuesday, August 25, 2015 5:26 PM
baron5867 wrote:OK, I found a set of these wheels in a JY a couple of weeks ago and picked them up..

OK, I have put some paint on these, but I am not sure of the outcome..... they might look too "festive".

Bear in mind that the lug nuts will be aluminized or chrome. They ARE 26yo and should look a little "retro"..... kind of like restoring a wood-panel station wagon. But I wonder if I should just black out the "pentagons". Opinions?
Attachments
Wheels4.JPG (258k)

Re: Feedback...
Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:55 AM
Not bad GM borrowed the design from the early 80's Malibu & Monte Carlo 5 spoke rims

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:28 AM
Spike J wrote:Not bad GM borrowed the design from the early 80's Malibu & Monte Carlo 5 spoke rims

Holy smokes, thanks for the pic! I was only working from memory about what, approximately, old Rally Wheels from the 70's-80's looked like, generally. I think I was specifically remembering the old (mid-70's?) Monte Carlo wheels. If I remember correctly, the center part of the wheel, which is black on my wheels and in your picture, was painted the same color as the car. I wasn't going to do that.

I wasn't trying to specifically restore these to original, so I didn't even bother to look it up. Somehow I came close.

I have to touch these up a little and clear coat them. The clear coat will reduce the shine of the aluminum paint, which is probably a good thing.

Geez, now I think I will have to get Mag Locks for these.
Wednesday, August 26, 2015 5:03 PM
Look Great...............

Doug in P.R.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search