Any Head Differences? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any Head Differences?
Friday, August 07, 2015 9:36 AM
Just a quick question amongst the 2nd gen folks here.

I have a 1994 with 2.2L Auto.

I'm interested in pulling a head at the local yard off a '93 Cavy. Mine is a '94. I know GM went to SEFI in '94 and the one in the yard is MPFI. Also '95 changed to the 3rd gen bodystyle and engine mounting locations changed with them.

My question is what are the differences between the two? Will intakes and exhausts bolt up? I am hoping the main difference lies in the fuel rail, injectors, and electronics - but I know how well GM is at changing more than is necessary on many a J-Body! Could '94 be a one year only head?

Hope someone here can save me headache of bringing a spare head home that could just be a nice paperweight ....Hahaa!

Thanks for any info

Re: Any Head Differences?
Friday, August 07, 2015 12:11 PM
Orlen , about half way down:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2000/07/rebuilding-the-chevy-2-2l-engine/

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, August 07, 2015 1:28 PM
Thank You Doug!!

Wonderful treasure trove of info in there! I always wondered why my sweeties '98 had that long pipe running to the back of the engine....LoL, now I know.

I can pick up this head for about $30 in about 10 days. Nice to know it will work just fine in the '94 if I need one

Never stops surprising me how much change GM put into all the J-Bodies!

Friday, August 07, 2015 3:59 PM
Your welcome Orlen...........................

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search