Pontiac 2.0 Main Bearing Cap Bolts - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pontiac 2.0 Main Bearing Cap Bolts
Saturday, August 08, 2015 6:10 AM
I am rebuilding an 89 2.0 turbo engine from my Sunbird Cvt.
I find out that the rod bolts and the crankshaft main bearing caps bolts are "torque to yield" ones that should be replaced with new ones
I found the rod bolts at a dealer... but nobody has the main cap bolts...

So a machine shop I trust says put the old bolts in and torque as suggested....

Any thoughts?

Pat

Re: Pontiac 2.0 Main Bearing Cap Bolts
Saturday, August 08, 2015 9:28 AM
I reused them in my turbo LN2 setup. Made lots of power spun to 7k+ regularly. When it finally broke i think it was a cam bearing that spun or something cause the mains and rod bearings all had normal wear on them and looked fine.

Wouldnt phase me to reuse them on something unless the motor was trash before it came apart. Given that there isnt much choice in the matter.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, August 08, 2015 4:09 PM
ARP will make some for you ( will require you send them one ) a couple week wait.'

Ask member "Superbee" on here what he used on his recent 2.0 OHC build.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:08 PM

ARP said for a small run of 10, it would cost $50-100 per bolt....
so maybe someday if 10 of us each want ten, maybe the price would be closer to $10/bolt...
I sent ARP the dimensions of the bolt, and they didn't have any in stock.

A friend of mine founds an expired ebay listing where they were unsold... so I contacted the guy and bought them

The discontinued part number is: GM 90234048 Main bearing bolts (10)

It might be fine to reuse them, but since it is a Turbo, and I am raising the compression and all.... I feel better having them....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search