Testing OBD1 with testlight - Page 2 - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Testing OBD1 with testlight
Friday, October 02, 2015 2:05 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:

Those inner bushings on yours were really toasted! Never been into the inner bushings myself - how difficult was the replacement?

Not too bad Orlen, had to take both nuts off the holder for them and drop the control arm down a little by taking out the back 4 bolts.. Its because the "holder" for the bushing's studs are too long to raise it up high enough to take it off. Taking out the back lower control arm 4 bolts lets you swing it down enough to take out the bushing and its "holder" . The Moog ones I put in had a slit on the bottom compared to the stock ones had on the side of the bushing. A better mousetrap since the weak part is now on the bottom so they dont end up like the one in my pic missing the top half.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, October 04, 2015 1:42 PM
Halfway back to square one , All buttoned up with new axle seal and boot, when started ran funny , took for a spin the only 2 cylinders firing are 2 and 3 ( front 2 on the coil) 1and 4 are on the back side of the coil .

Tested everything in the Haynes, looks like a coil is in the books.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Monday, October 05, 2015 4:09 AM
Doug, might be useful to double check and make sure all wiring is connected up. You've been all over this for some time and it just might be possible something might be unplugged.

"Fingers Crossed"

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 4:30 PM
Orlen Brown wrote:Doug, might be useful to double check and make sure all wiring is connected up. You've been all over this for some time and it just might be possible something might be unplugged.

"Fingers Crossed"

Thanks for the fingers crossed Orlen .................it worked!

Everything was plugged in but the evel tar crap reared its ugly head.

All good now , the 4 prong connector to the coil pack had the tar like stuff on it also , so I cleaned it off with a toothbrush and mineral spirits and plugged it back on and its running on all 4 cylinders now.

Tested the coil first and it was in the good ohm range on both banks so I figured it was that connector that I unplugged 2 weeks ago while testing the circuits.

Only a month off the road..........................between the wiring problem search and part waiting.

Doug in P.R.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search