2.0sohc rough when braking... - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.0sohc rough when braking...
Friday, November 13, 2015 4:27 AM
Just looking for a starting off point and some more ideas here before getting started tracking this down. The 93 4 door 2.0 auto just started running rough and stumbling only when braking. It's intermittent and therefore hard to figure out what's going on. I drove it yesterday and it seems like when lightly braking it will start to run rough, but I could only get it to do it for maybe 2 seconds tops. It won't do it under hard braking at all. I also think it varies: my wife said it was worse the day before and continued running rough once while sitting at a light. It runs fine and feels normal otherwise.

I looked around for any signs of bad hoses and didn't see any, but that's about as far as I've gotten. It also has pretty new plugs and wires, but I will double check there also and may try a spare set just to rule it out. I had an intermittent issue a few years ago I was having trouble tracking and it was a bad wire. My only other idea is maybe something with the booster.

Anyway, like I said, just looking for some more ideas or better yet if someone has had this exact problem! Thanks!

86 Skyhawk wagon 1.8SOHC 93 Sunbird two door 2.0SOHC 93 Sunbird four door 2.0SOHC

Re: 2.0sohc rough when braking...
Friday, November 13, 2015 2:53 PM
Things to check:

PCV valve

PVC hose

Brake booster

Brake Booster Hose

TCC Brake pedal switch

Trans Fliud Level.

Doug in PR

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 143 K miles.Slowly getting back to a halfway decent car............in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Re: 2.0sohc rough when braking...
Saturday, November 14, 2015 1:29 PM
Thanks Doug!
Think it may have been the booster hose, although the old one looks fine.
Some more driving will tell I'm sure.

86 Skyhawk wagon 1.8SOHC 93 Sunbird two door 2.0SOHC 93 Sunbird four door 2.0SOHC
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search