Happy to be back with a "new" 2nd Gen - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Happy to be back with a "new" 2nd Gen
Wednesday, May 04, 2016 5:34 AM
I haven't been on here in years, since the loss of my 93 sunbird 2.0/ 5 speed to a tree in 2011. I had purchased that one new to replace my 1990 black z24 that I bought new (with moms help) in October of 1989 and Saddly was totaled with only 22,000 miles on it.
Well, I'm back with a almost spotless 1993 z24 convertible. Only 64,000 miles. Black with grey interior. Completely stock except radio. Garaged since new. Everything works perfectly except passenger door power window.
I hope this forum is still running strong as I plan to keep this one for a very long time. I'm in my 40's now, and have had a second GEN J body in my fleet since I was 17 with the exception of 4 years
Attachments
image.jpg (162k)
image.jpg (252k)
image.jpg (147k)
image.jpg (163k)

Re: Happy to be back with a "new" 2nd Gen
Wednesday, May 04, 2016 4:49 PM
Beautiful

You've got you one heck of a nice example.

You may find that some bushings and engine mounts probably will need replacing, unless they have been done recently. With these, age alone will cause them to deteriorate. Other than that and maybe the small cruise control vacuum tube, most things should go for a long time.

Get us some more pictures
Thursday, May 05, 2016 8:49 AM
Here's a few more pictures. It feels so good to be back in essentially my first car from 26 years ago (although that was a black and silver hardtop Z24.
I trying desperately to get this passenger door power window motor/regulator fixed, but I seem to be reading conflicting info whether the coupe and convertibles use different regulators due to more window travel, but not sure if that only applied to third generation.
Attachments
image.jpg (219k)

Friday, May 06, 2016 2:48 AM
Yes, the regulators are different. There is around 15 1/4" rivets that mounts a plate to the door. The regulator/motor rivets to the plate. Be sure to take a picture of the original before you take the motor off. The spring only goes one way, but can be put on backwards and will be useless if it is.

You can see pictures of the door with the panel removed as well as a regulator/motor in this thread.
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/saw-a-perfectly-preserved-p2-rs-convert-today-t126818.html

I also posted some pictures in a thread I made when I changed the motors in my 92. I couldn't find it, that has been a couple years ago. Anyway, if I can help with anything, let me know. I've got a good bit of experience changing these motors on the convertibles.

You need 1/4" x 1/2" rivets (this is the actual size of the rivets) for the plate to the door and a smaller size for putting the motor onto the regulator. I don't recall the size of them, but you can probably take the regulator to a hardware store to get the right size rivets you'll need for that.
Attachments
image.jpg (140k)

Friday, May 06, 2016 8:26 PM
That is a fine looking 2nd gen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will say things are slower on the J scene but,I can say that there are a lot of 1st gens guys on here daily in our forum and I myself check the 2nd.I could recommend some things that may need checking like your rear shocks for bottoming out and the same for the front struts if there the oem ones I would update that if not done.I would check your rear axle as IT should have a sway bar under the straight axle (check the bushings) in the 4 mount points with the hardware.These age out and should be 19mm bushings if they are drying out even stored indoors.And last do you have a a front strut tower bar that goes from the left to right strut tower?Most verts did not come with this but it will tighten up the front end more than you might think.Done

Saturday, May 07, 2016 6:27 AM
Struts are original, and they are on my to do list, along with a few other things. It does have the front strut brace, but I believe that's because it is Z24 version. My 90 z24 had it, but I've learned here that it is a slightly different bar. Yes it has the rear bar tucked under the axle. I'll check all bushings front and rear when I get it up on the lift in a few weeks. (My sister and brother in law are "car guys" and have a backyard garage of our dreams...I'll attach a pic here.
Heading outside now to dismantle the passenger front window. Thanks for those pictures of the regulator Butch.
Attachments
image.jpg (1852k)

Sunday, May 08, 2016 7:25 AM
The rear sway bar bushings may be 21mm. Check the service codes on the sticker of the spare tire cover. First check that the vin number on the sticker is the vin of your car (just in case the tire cover was ever changed). If the vin is the same, then look for FE3 in the option codes. If it is FE3 it is 30mm front and 21mm rear. If it is FE2, it is 28mm front and 19mm rear.
Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:52 AM
The regulators are different between coupe and convertible. The convertible has an extra arm on it.
Monday, May 16, 2016 9:03 PM
Thanks guys. I'm a little disappointed in myself to admit defeat and now seeking professional help on this repair. Local mechanic in trust is going to take motor/regulator out and see if he can just swap in a motor.
Anxious to get it fully functioning, as I have a 160 mile drive to grandmas beach house comming up in two weeks
Sunday, May 29, 2016 1:00 PM
You guys should have seen my ear to ear grin when we got caught in stop and go traffic on the garden state parkway on the way to the beach Friday!
My 9 year old daughter was riding in the back, wife and I up front. Top down. Daughter says "dad... Why do people keep taking pictures of our car?" Boy did that feel good!
Re: Happy to be back with a
Sunday, May 29, 2016 1:09 PM
DAYUM!!!!!!!!

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry

Thursday, June 02, 2016 5:05 PM
Never had anyone break out the camera to get a pic of mine (none are pretty enough, lol), but quite a few folks have said they remember these cars and/or say they used to own one. Nearly everyone said they missed theirs,,,, which may be a good sign for the future, if you get my meaning.

Anyway, so glad to hear you are really enjoying yours, it is a true beauty.

Oh, and if you haven't gotten around to checking the bushings yet, a sure sign they have dry rotted is squeaks.
Thursday, June 02, 2016 7:38 PM
I gave the bushings a quick look while I had the car up in the air replacing the 23 year old radiator hoses prior to my 5 Hour Drive down to the beach last weekend. They looked pretty good, only thing I noticed and added to my list is that it needs new front sway bar links as they are shot.
Hopefully I will have the passenger door window motor resolved Saturday morning. On a side note, I ran into the previous owner of my car while grocery shopping recently and we talked for a few minutes about how much he misses the car already.
Thursday, June 02, 2016 8:45 PM
That is very cool story of the appreciation onlookers had.I have had people come by that are friends and see the cav covered and wonder.I just pop the hood and they are just wowed by how detailed my engine bay is and to me that is the approval I like.My car stays garaged year round.

Sunday, June 26, 2016 6:33 AM
Hey Butch... My friend and I finally got the glass back in the door and all the trim back together without breaking a single clip. Thank you for all your help and pictures. I couldn't have done it without. I just wish I had looked into buying a new outer window sweep before I reassembled, as it's starting to get brittle. Thanks again
Sunday, June 26, 2016 5:45 PM
My pleasure, glad it was helpful.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search