94 Sunbird timing belt - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
94 Sunbird timing belt
Monday, July 04, 2016 8:54 PM
I just got a 94 Sunbird which sat for a while. It ran well for about 500 miles and the timing belt went. I ordered the shop manual off ebay but I'm still waiting and wanted to get the timing belt done. With a lot of google searching got everything apart. I'm having some problems getting the new belt on.

The 94 has a tensioner. My thought was I could just relieve some pressure on the tensioner and slap the belt on. The tensioner moves very little and the belt won't fit.

Anyone know if I need to also release the tension on the water pump or am I doing something wrong? I thought 93 and down used the water pump for tension and the 94 used the tensioner.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: 94 Sunbird timing belt
Wednesday, July 06, 2016 11:04 AM
Water pump is the tensioner all models ( 1.8 and 2.0 OHC's.)........................some use a crow's foot to turn it................ I used some big Chanellocks.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, July 07, 2016 6:57 PM
Loosen the bolts around the circumference of the water pump and rotate it. You will see that the pulley moves slightly as you turn the pump. Turn it to loosest position, lay the belt in place, then rotate the pump until belt gets tight and you will see the hydraulic tensioner get compressed. Once it is fully compressed, don't force it any tighter, and snug down the water pump bolts. Ideally this is the time to instal a new water pump
Friday, July 29, 2016 4:43 AM
Both the water pump and the tensioner actually tension the belt obviously, but it just depends how much the water pump is turned. Several of mine were in the right spot where you can slip the belt on without moving the water pump, but just by moving the tensioner. Also, there is a hole in most tensioners that when you rotate it all the way you can slip a tube or bolt through the hole to keep it open, then pull it out once the belt is on.

• 86 Skyhawk wagon : 2.0SOHC swap, Megasquirt, 20SEH cam
• 93 Sunbird sedan : 2.0SOHC, Microsquirt, ported head, 10:1
• 88 Sunbird coupe : 2.0SOHC, turbo project car, giant tires
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search