ignition module replacement 91 2.2 cavalier - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ignition module replacement 91 2.2 cavalier
Saturday, December 24, 2016 7:05 AM
the car was only running on 2 cylinders. i changed the 2-3 ignition coil no change. i am replacing the ignition module. im having a really hard time getting the screws started. i know that this is an old car but placing the ignition module and coils below the intake on the back side of the engine block was an engineering joke. what is the easiest way the get this thing started? should i remove the mounting plate

Re: ignition module replacement 91 2.2 cavalier
Monday, January 16, 2017 4:21 AM
Hey, I am also working on the ignition of my 88 Skyhawk. But in my case that's slightly easier, as I need that ballast resistor replaced. Also had problems with ignition, and now have to replace the ballast resistor there. Did not have time to do the job yet, but my new resistor was already delivered to me. Hate when ignition's bad, so irritating. Mine started, but almost immediately died....
Anyways, hope you fix your Cavalier soon and enjoy the ride J
Cheers!
Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:10 AM
Max Rhodes wrote:But in my case that's slightly easier, as I need that ballast resistor replaced. Also had problems with ignition, and now have to replace the ballast resistor there.

Just thought that someone may possibly need the ballast resistor for 88 Skyhawk, it's 1.4 ohm and the one by Fast is pretty nice...
Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:15 PM
Just to let you know, you may want to replace the plugs and wires too. Coils and modules usual only burn up from high resistance causing the spark to jump through the case or internally due to a bad blue wire or spark plug. That is why a lot of people constantly replace coils and think they are just made cheap.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, January 20, 2017 7:26 AM
Wow, did not know that... Thanks for telling... As I also thought that it will be it.
Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:00 AM
I have had a lot of trouble with the wires myself. The boot on #4 starts arcing near the end right to the head. Replace the plugs both times - didn't help. To make matters worse after replacing the head I've also had the #2 injector leak. On my second set of wires now and getting ready to install the 3rd set of O-Rings on the Injector.

I need combustion in the cylinder, not in the engine compartment

The absolute most effective way to ease your access is to remove that intake manifold. Not the 1st choice, I know, but it'll let you really get in there and make sure you have everything where you want it. Sure wish I'd had the funds to replace all that down there while I had the head off!

Starters are as bad on the Brazil Engines too , they sit back on the firewall side under the intake manifold as well.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search