Gen 2 phase 2 convertible rear window motors - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gen 2 phase 2 convertible rear window motors
Saturday, February 10, 2018 3:45 PM
Spring is almost here, time for this forum to wake up! You guys helped me 2 years ago to replace my passenger door motor, especially Butch. Now it’s time to address the two rear windows that go up very slowly, even if I help them along with a little pulling.
I figure I’d start by unbolting the rear seat cushion and then remove the plastic panel housing the rear speaker.
Any tips or parts suggestions?

Re: Gen 2 phase 2 convertible rear window motors
Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:25 PM
The rear motors are much easier to change than the fronts are.
Sounds like you are on the right track.
Here are the instructions from the service manual. They explain everything very well.
If you need any additional help, I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
Good luck.
Attachments
1.jpg (498k)
3.jpg (414k)
2.jpg (509k)

Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:14 PM
Thanks Butch! Again!
I won’t be able to start on this for at least 2 weeks, but I was wondering bring these cars didn’t have opening rear windows before conversion, What motor did they use? Same as front? Different GM? ASC specific part?
Sunday, February 11, 2018 11:57 PM
The motors are the same as the fronts.
Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:37 PM
Great news butch... thanks again. I’ll be getting started on this project very soon.
Wednesday, February 14, 2018 11:40 PM
You're very welcome, glad to help.

It really is a piece of cake to change the rear motors. Adjusting them is covered in the shots from the manual and is also quite easy to get them properly lined up.
Getting the wire connector off the interior light without snapping off one of the tabs on the lens is the tricky part. The plastic gets brittle over the years and the tabs tend to break off when prying them up to remove the connector. If it does break off, don't worry too much about it, the connectors seem to stay on without them. You could put a dab of glue or caulking on the connector once reinserted, if you feel the need to. I didn't and the connectors have not come loose.
Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:02 PM
As long as it’s easier than the fronts, I’ll be ok. Passenger front was one of the most tedious auto repairs I’ve ever done. I guess I’m more of a brute force mechanical guy. I have replaced The brakes on the Ford F550 dually I drive at work in a dark parking lot using just basic hand tools and a bottle jack (40 very tight lugnuts), timing belts on at least 10 cars, and more alternators than I can count, but I hated doing that window.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search