New Horn? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Horn?
Wednesday, January 23, 2019 5:32 PM
My horn stopped working. There is one wire, and it is powered when the horn button on the steering wheel is pushed. OK. It looks like I need a new horn (I didn't check for ground issue).

1) There is only one horn on these cars?
2) Any aftermarket suggestions? I saw the AC Delco OE part, but might go with a Standard Motor Products or other.

Thanks

Re: New Horn?
Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:33 AM
I used a "Blazer" horn I picked up at AutoZone a few years ago, sounds like all the other for import crap down here that everyone drives.

So far it's held up well, I guess the factory location gets alot of water in the rain while driving, which led to the original horns demise.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 148K miles. Hurricane Maria Surviver! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, February 14, 2019 1:20 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:

So far it's held up well, I guess the factory location gets alot of water in the rain while driving, which led to the original horns demise.

Doug in P.R.

Belated thanks for your reply. I bought a Standard Motor Products horn and installed it. It did not solve the problem. When I press the horn button on the steering wheel, the horn many times sounds balky, like there is a bad connection. I had disassembled the horn pad on the steering wheel and it looks OK. I had checked/cleaned the connection and ground at the horn. I assumed the horn was going bad because of its location and age.

I see that there is a horn relay. Is it possible that it is sticking? Can someone tell me where it is? Thanks.
Friday, February 15, 2019 1:58 PM
As far as I found , its next to the 4 way flasher under the dash , which is on the right of the steering column if I remember. Turn on your 4 way and listen to be sure...

It's a 3 prong square horn relay .

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 148K miles. Hurricane Maria Surviver! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, February 15, 2019 2:44 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:

As far as I found , its next to the 4 way flasher under the dash , which is on the right of the steering column if I remember. Turn on your 4 way and listen to be sure...

It's a 3 prong square horn relay .

Doug in P.R.

Thanks, I will drop the cluster "under panel" and look. I wasn't sure if it was buried out on the engine compartment or perhaps over by the computer. I saw that the replacements were 3-prongs boxes.

My alldata subscription is expired and the leads on my multimeter are trashed. Aaaaargh!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search