Tachometer swap - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tachometer swap
Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:58 PM
I have a 94 cavalier rs sedan with a 4cyl without a tachometer gauge
I was wondering if it's possible to install the one with the tachometer gauge just like that or if there's any difference between those connections

Re: Tachometer swap
Friday, June 28, 2019 9:09 AM
Wiring should be there, where the cluster snaps in to the multi prong connector.

It should have a white wire.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, June 28, 2019 11:19 PM
Thanks you for replying to my post.
I'll check that out
Tuesday, July 02, 2019 8:53 AM
I swapped in the full cluster gauge in the '94 Sedan from a Z24. The wiring is swap ready but there will be two issues. 1st is the oil sending unit on the 4's is for an idiot light and the gauge will read full tilt. 2nd is the Tach is set up for the V-6 and it will work , but reads low.

I don't know if there were any 4 cylinder models that came with the oil pressure gauge, or if the sending unit out of a V-6 will screw in place of the on/off unit for the idiot light. I don't know if there is a mod out there to correct the V-6/4 difference in Tach readings. If there is someone out there that has been there, done that I'd appreciate the advice. I do know there are 2 oil pressure sending units behind the engine. I believe one is for the gauge / light and the other for the fuel pump/ ECU.

I even found I could do this on a '91 Cutlass Ciera too, but the harness doesn't support direct swapping on the '84 or '84 J's that I have. Been there tried that.

Regardless I really enjoy the full clusters!

Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:41 AM
My finding is you change the capacitor to make the V6 tach run on 4 cylinder motor.

Something like .0064.( might require 3 capacitors piggybacked)

Or just get a Equiss a tach at AutoZone that picks up the signal from the # 1 spark plugs, Clips on like a timing light.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search