88 Wagon Update - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
88 Wagon Update
Sunday, January 12, 2020 2:18 PM
Here is an update on the progress I've made. Been kinda slow with getting things done, but have to get this thing back together and ready to drive.
Oh and near the end of the video I show what I found to be great rear coil spring compressors for removal and install of the springs. Works great and quite cheap. A set comes with 4 too.
https://youtu.be/UfZ4EUkFd8I

Re: 88 Wagon Update
Monday, January 13, 2020 6:16 PM
The engine is in
Ran into another mount problem. This time a filled transmission mount. Going to have to make a jig to fill these things. It will be okay, but don't think it is ideal.

Video link
https://youtu.be/3W-qIYvbU5Y
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:18 AM
I'm the one that posted on both Vids , Butch

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Friday, January 24, 2020 3:04 AM
Looking good, love these old wagons.

DRIVING FORCE FABRICATIONS

Wednesday, February 05, 2020 10:23 AM
Thanks Jeffie.

Got the dash done and ready to install.

Work done to the dash prior to dying;
https://youtu.be/187Ay9YtVgw

A video showing what I used.
https://youtu.be/F3QRiuhob8I

Dash and all other parts dyed using SEM Color Coat Medium Beechwood, followed by a couple good coats of SEM Color Coat 13013 Satin Clear aerosol can.
https://youtu.be/Z5B5MgNnWbE

Very pleased with the results. The color match is nearly perfect.
Thursday, February 06, 2020 3:15 AM
That came out surprisingly good, better than I would have expected.

Thursday, February 06, 2020 4:10 PM
Jeffie @ Driving Force Fabs wrote:That came out surprisingly good, better than I would have expected.
Honestly, I felt the same way. Really wasn't sure what it would look like. I did small pieces first and those made me feel pretty good about this stuff. When the console came out with a nice even tone, my worries about how the dash would do faded quite a bit. I was really surprised 1 pint did everything. I did thin it a little though. The sprayer is the bomb (pun intended). As long as you do everything that will require some tilting of the bottle first thing while it is good and full, there were no problems with the way it sprayed.

The dash is in the car. I'll get another video once it is out of the garage and in good sunlight. Should be by the end of the weekend.
Friday, February 07, 2020 6:10 AM
Looking forward to it.

I'm curious how this will age hopefully it holds up well, I'd love to be able to redo some interior plastics.

Saturday, February 22, 2020 7:10 AM
It is all back together now!

Got it done yesterday afternoon. Drives nice, runs great and everything that should be working is working. A/C is charged and working. Still have a few things that need to be done, later on. Window sweeps, run channels and getting power windows are the main things that still need to be done. These will get added later on though. I hope to find a nice door for the passenger side front. As you'll see in the video, the place that worked on the door and fender did a really poor quality job on them. I did the paint on them and it doesn't match. But the whole car needs paint, so no big deal really.

Here is a link to the latest video where you can see it out in the sun.
https://youtu.be/o0zb6Yv-AuE
Monday, February 24, 2020 3:04 AM
She's looking really good, it's looking all around in better shape than my 99 and you even have me beat on the A/C lol.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 6:25 PM
I just got back from NC. It ran perfect, everything as it should be.
I was most impressed with the way it drives in the twisty foothills. Even though it is rather high, it turns extremely well. Not really pushing it, but at a good clip it turns flat and very precisely. The balance feels great. Very fun to drive. It does ride a bit on the harsh side though. More so than either of the Z24's, both of which are heavier cars though. The wagon has Moog front and GM wagon cargo springs rear. The 92 (which is a the heaviest) is also a little harsh but not quite as much. It has Moog springs on all corners. The 88 (which has it's original FE3 springs) is smoother riding than the other too, but still drives sporty. The 94 RS (FE2) was a plusher riding car. I really didn't like that either. And while it was lower than the other two, still did not handle as well, due to the 'floaty' feel.

Got to get on the run channels sometime before long. Just didn't have the time to do every little thing before moving. I've had some for over a year now. That will be near the top of the list of things to do, another door or not. Lots of wind noise on the passenger side where I broke most of the original channel out. Annoying, it is.
I must admit I'm pretty please with how it came out. Not perfect or anything, but nice and not too much left to take care of.

I'll try to keep them up as along as I can get parts and I'm able. The 88 coupe will probably be the next to get a refresh. It has never been completely taken apart before.

Thursday, February 27, 2020 3:32 AM
Keep it up my man.

I remember my 92 RS being a bit of a boat as well, my 85 vert felt more planted that that thing ever did.

Thursday, March 05, 2020 11:31 AM
Here is a short video of the engine sound in the wagon.
https://youtu.be/twYbKT4LuR4
Friday, March 06, 2020 3:29 AM
Sounds like it's running pretty well.

Saturday, March 07, 2020 5:55 AM
That was the first time it was ran up at full throttle to its shift points, since installed in the wagon. I had applied full power after getting it in and all, but only to about 4,500. The mileage on the odometer is the correct mileage for the engine/trans/exhaust.
I normally don't beat on the cars much at all. Heck they rarely even see 4,000.
Driving it up to NC was uneventful. Slight pull to the right. I'll need to get a proper alignment. I set the camber with one of those magnetic camber levels. Did the toe with string, it's off a bit though. Still was able to get 30mpg going up there.
It has a set of Bosch 4304 platinum plus plugs in it. Never used them before. I've always used ACDelco copper and have 3 or 4 sets of them. The Bosch were among some new stuff that was in the trunk of the black Z24. So I just used them for the heck of it.

I really like this car and it will be my daily driver,,, well along with the S10, that is. I've got to find a door and swap the fender sometime. I know where there is a perfect phase 2 door, but I'll pass on it and hope to find a phase 1 somewhere.

Oh yeah, the A/C. I used everything off the RS. I'd replaced the compressor on it back in May 2016. All it needed was oil, vac and recharge. It seems to be working fine.
Saturday, May 23, 2020 7:22 PM
butch nackley wrote:Here is a short video of the engine sound in the wagon.
https://youtu.be/twYbKT4LuR4
I can't edit the post above with the original link.
I decided it might be a good idea to remove this video, under the Fifth Amendment.
Tuesday, June 09, 2020 3:06 PM
Why did it blow up!

Doug in P.R.8)

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Tuesday, June 09, 2020 4:29 PM
LOL

No, I just thought it might be a good idea not to be showing the speedometer to the whole world. I mean, the speed limit sign was clear and the speedometer,,,, well lets just say they weren't in agreeance with each other at times.
Wednesday, June 10, 2020 11:22 AM
Forgetabouuutit, You were on the Autobahn...

Doug in P.R.

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 11:53 PM
Nice wagon! The dash looks great. Looking foraward to seeing more updates.
Wednesday, September 23, 2020 1:33 AM
Thank you Ted.
Not much to update on. I've put nearly 4,000 miles on it since putting it together. Had to change the rear shocks. One of them began leaking. There was a new pair of Gabriel shocks in the box when I bought the car. I used them, but one failed. I had a new set of KYB shocks I'd bought on sale at RockAuto years ago. I put them on it they other day.
Been working too much to get out to junk yards to hunt for a good door and power window regulators. That's pretty much all I need for it. I want to tint the windows sometime, but I'll have to wait until after winter for that. I should have done it back when the car was apart. I also want to hopefully find tilt drivers seat rails for it. I really like that option and my other 3 have them.

Friday, December 18, 2020 10:41 AM
Your work and results are amazing! If the cars were able to - they would be fighting each other for your attention for sure!

Love those videos - need to be checking this site more often. Don't have to worry about you getting into any trouble - you spend all your time doing the TLC. If you are anything like me the pictures and videos are good reminder of what all you've done. I tend to forget half of all I've done over the years if I didn't have something to remind me. I feel sorry for the kids these days spending all their time playing games - they don't have real life results as this. You can't get in a video game and enjoy the results with the wind blowing on a pretty day.

BTW - by chance, what size are the 15" WRL tires on the wagon? 205/70's ?

Friday, December 18, 2020 4:25 PM
Thank you Orlen. I can say the same about you. I've read most of your threads over the years and always found them inspiring as well as informative.
About the tires. they are not factory white letter tires. They are Douglas Perfromance tires, sold at Walmart. They are made in the USA by Goodyear and are exclusive to Walmart. Very good tires for the money too, around $50-55 a tire. 205/60r15.
I used a Toyo Paint pen to do the white lettering. Took 3 coats, I believe it was. But one pen was enough to do all 4 tires. It has held up extremely well too. I've washed them at the car wash with high pressure sprayer a few times and it has not removed one bit of the paint. Just clean the tires really really good before you apply the paint. Those pens really work great. Be sure to get genuine TOYO though. I understand some of the off brand ones do not cover as much and does not hold up as well.

And yeah, I know what you mean about today's kids and video games/stupid phones. I can them Phoneaddicts.
Friday, December 18, 2020 9:35 PM
Dang, your front suspension supports look amazing! Did you powdercoat them? I just blasted mine and am cutting out some rusty bits.

Saturday, December 19, 2020 12:26 AM
manbearpig wrote:Dang, your front suspension supports look amazing! Did you powdercoat them? I just blasted mine and am cutting out some rusty bits.
Thank you.
No, I didn't get my oven built, so everything was just paint. Next one I do, I'll be be sure to have the oven built and ready to use. I just didn't have the time on the this one.
I take you are going to weld in a repair patch? That should fix yours up very well. Please keep us up to date on your progress. We all love following other peoples builds.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search