abs light need help - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
abs light need help
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 9:21 AM
ok here is my prob
my cv joints went out and i had them replaced
when i picked up the car and reached 50 mph the abs light came on
i never had a prob w this before so i took it back to the shop that did the work
and he said that it was prob grease on the sensor and told me to spray it off
well that did not work
my ? is what could be causing this
also if i shut the car off and re start it the light will turn off and wont come on agen untill i reach 50 mph help me please

Re: abs light need help
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 7:07 PM
you should try to get autozone or someone with a scanner pull the abs code from the computer. thats gonna prolly be the only way you find out what exactly's goin on. <br>

nothing
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 8:06 PM
Did the shop replace the entire axle or just the CV? As rouge said, you will need to find out exactly what is happening. My guess is that there is a big difference in the wheel speed output between the two sides which will definetely throw a code.

You should take it back to the shop and have them fix it since the problem happened after they "fixed" it the first time.
<br>

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 8:31 PM
james, this is exactly why i need my front wheel speed sensors, the abs light only comes on at x speed for me about 45mph. NOW, we have a diagnostics machine, and the machien said, that it was the left front wheel speed sensor. Things to consider:

1. the lights ONLY came on after i replaced both front entire strut tower assemblies to avoid taking it apart to put in new struts, since i just swapped these from teh Z and put the bad struts, strut towers back ont heold car

2. the sensor itself is "bad" when there is not equal to, or less than 1650-1800 ohms of resistance, and BOTH mine read out to roughly 1610, which is weird since the machine only said left front, as i can remember

3. the book also says, if its not the sensor, than it may be the ring sensor gear on the cv joint itself, damage to it can cause it to read off, mine have just a tad, very minute amoutn of damage, hardly recognizeable.

im stumped James, we need help! <br>

RedCavyRS99: dude your so screwed up its @!#$in great lmmfao
RedCavyRS99: dude you really are the most @!#$ up person i know lol
RedCavyRS99: dude get help before you get hurt lol
RedCavyRS99: you really do need help lol
Wednesday, January 12, 2005 7:54 AM
ok i took the brakes apart last night and cleand them by hand fillthy as @#$%
and still the prob persest oh and i found a broke alignment stud on the abs sensor
i think the shop did it but cant prove anything

Wednesday, January 12, 2005 9:03 PM
bump, James, we need you buddy! <br>

Thursday, January 13, 2005 8:17 AM
Yeah, I'm still looking into it. I'll let you know as soon as I get somewhere .
<br>

Saturday, January 15, 2005 9:28 PM
you the man james! <br>

Monday, January 17, 2005 7:00 AM
james i need ya man changed the sensor and not better ........that was a 60$ waste
changing the axles today need help its snowing and sleeting agen and i have no abs!
not good

anything you can find out is greatly app i have searched and cant find mutch

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 9:20 PM
yeah, bump
<br>

Thursday, January 20, 2005 8:19 AM
I've checked just about every TSB I can get my hands on and- nothing. Since I have my ABS module out, I'm going to try a few things and go from there. <br>

Thursday, January 20, 2005 8:24 PM
right on <br>

Thursday, January 20, 2005 9:54 PM
thanks so much man see what you can do im gonna replace the cv axles agen this week

Friday, January 21, 2005 6:53 PM
If you can get your car on a code reader and grab the DTC code the abs module is sending i can give you the exact problem, i have a service manual... there are about 200 pages on the ABS or else i'd just send you the entire thing.
Just glancing over it , it mentions if end play is excessive it can cause this (barring any wire or sensor damage)
When you installed the axels did you tighten the axel nut to 150fts or greater? <br>

Sunday, January 23, 2005 5:43 PM
i have a diagnostics machine, and a shop manual, 1. its been way to cold for the last i dont know how long, so we cant use the machine. but other than, i dunno, nm <br>

Sunday, January 23, 2005 7:13 PM
mitchell, what year is your car?

heads- which of your cars in having the problem? 93 or 94?

I remember a few months ago there was someone having similar issues that I went through all the codes for the guy and it turned out it was a bad contoller or something.
<br>

Monday, January 24, 2005 7:36 AM
james i have a 93 2,2 with a 5 speed
not shure about it being the controler cause it worked fine before the axle change
but thanx for the sudj

as for puting it on a machine all the shops around here want 60 bucks just to pull it in the garage so im gona change the axle one more time first
my mec has ben too busy to @!#$ with it recently

Monday, January 24, 2005 10:03 AM
james, the car is a 94rs, WAS a 2.2 auto, but i put the 3.1 5spd out of myold wrecked z and put the 3.1 and 5spd into the rs. But, the entire front strut tower assembly, onthe 94 rs is off of the 93z. so, the wheel speed sensors are off the 93, and anythign else that would effect the wheel speed, same z axles, wireing, ecm, everything. but, if we remember the light only came on after i switched the entire front tower assembly... <br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 10:38 AM
i hate abs aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Friday, January 28, 2005 12:50 PM
Ok, I've gone down every road I can without knowing the exact codes you're getting. If I have the codes, I can tell you the entire diagnostic flow chart to fix the problem. But... I need the codes

Take a ride to your local AutoZone and have them hook up one of their ABS tools to the ALDL (I'm pretty sure they have them) You need to get the ABS module codes read and not the ECM, since they are seperate. Or, if you have a buddy at a shop, ask him/her to hook up a scan tool and pull them. Keep in mind- they are NOT engine codes, and make sure whoever does the scanning knows that too.
<br>

Friday, January 28, 2005 2:49 PM
man didnt i say at first to go autozone, but i did forget to mention that they do pull the codes for free. get the code man we have mitchell on-demand at work and ill tell you what the codes for. <br>

nothing

Saturday, January 29, 2005 11:12 AM
my autozone and advance dont have the abs readers they cant scan my car or i would have alredy done that
looks like ill have to try to save 60 bucks and try to find i shop that has one
i live in a @!#$ty town and finding one might be a pain

Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:04 AM
james: ever since it snowed here and was crappy outside, the abs light is on once i start moving, say 5mph....still dont know what to do.

Thursday, February 10, 2005 10:44 AM
So it only really acts up when its wet? You should clean all the connectors and make sure they don't have any corrosion. The weatherpack connectors are pretty good, but it doesn't hurt to check them out.

With it only coming on after you start moving, it means the controller is good, but one of the sensors or wiring is bad. Having the exact code would help you out to know which one it is for sure.

Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:51 PM
k, but, now wet or not, it will come on when dry on ground also, just right away at a low low speed. the light just kicks on sooner now, since the snowstorm we had, so snow or wetness must've messed with the wiring or sensor more now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search