Tourque and top speed '90 turbo bird? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tourque and top speed '90 turbo bird?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:41 AM
I have found lists that show the factory horsepower and 1/4 mile time and speed for my '90 Sunbird. I can't find any that show tourque or top speed from the factory though. Does anyone here know these? Thanks for your replies.

Re: Tourque and top speed '90 turbo bird?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:28 AM
Torque is like 165ft/lbs and top speed is probably the speed limiter of 170km/h

1991 3.1L V6 Sunbird LE
15.365@88.52
Full Interior...3-Speed Automatic.

Satisfied Customer of:
POWERSHOP PORTING SERVICE
Sunday, March 06, 2005 5:26 PM
175 FT LBS at 3500 is what I've read. Top speed? You could figure out the theoretical top speed if you wanted to but there may be a speed limiter in the computer like in a Grand National. If I remember correctly the GN was limited to 127 MPH because GM didn't want to put higher speed rated tires on it. The Sunbird was probably a similar deal but you'd need a computer hacker to verify that.
Tony

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Sunday, March 06, 2005 6:17 PM
should have got a 89' bird, no limiter for me but its not like im gunna need to go that fast neways..
and yes its 175 FT LBS torque at 5 pounds of boost, cuz thats wat it is stock.
Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:00 PM
i've been that fast, there is no speed limiter. i've had my sunbird pinned passed 120 for long periods of time

WARNING: I bring nothing to the table.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:30 PM
go pick up a chiltons gm shop manual for ?-90 or 90-94 has engine specs for your reading pleasure

wicked
Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:50 PM
I have had my '89 turbo almost at a 130mph for a good decent time.. Turned an 1:30hr trip into 30min
Thursday, March 17, 2005 5:06 PM
the last owner of my bird had his going 140..
Monday, March 21, 2005 12:31 PM
i have a 90 non turbo and i have had it to 135 mph.

if only closed minds came with closed mouths
CHAOS PANIC AND DISORDER MY WORK HERE IS DONE
"if it don't fit smack it with a hammer
if it still don't fit smack it with a bigger hammer"
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:27 PM
i've had mine at 205 km/hr for like 2 mins cuz i ran out of room so i couldnt see how much faster i could go that number was also dont at 4600 rpm in 5th
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:38 AM
truckerdraven wrote:i have a 90 non turbo and i have had it to 135 mph.

I wonder how long it took you to get up there, that sounds a bit much for a n/a car

**changes are here**

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:01 AM
Ugh so much disinformation here. Tony's factory torque specs are right. As for the rest:

Sunbird Turbo 2.0's have NO speed limiter from the factory. What they DO have is a high speed BOOST limiter. It limits your boost once you break a certain MPH above a certain RPM. I do no thave the exact speed/rpm in front of me. If you're using the factory boost control it will reduce boost to effectivly limit top speed. If you are using an aftermarket boost controller, then this won't happen and you have a gear/aero limited top speed only. It ALSO limits boost in 1st gear by "bleeding " some off as to prevent "Surge" in 1st gear, and thus creating extra wheel spin. You'll notice first gear pulls a LOT harder if you switch to a manual boost controller (or reprogram your ECM).

As far as GEAR limited or "theoretical" top speed of the car. If you have a 2.0 turbo and a Getrag HM282 trans, and tires with an overall height of 24.9" like a 215x45x17 (these numbers are with this tire size which is what I run, as opposed to stock has an overall height of 23.7"), AND you're shifting at the factory redline of 6500 RPM, then the gear speeds are:
3rd gear ends at 96mph. 4th ends at 140 mph, and 5th ends at 183 mph.

So in theroy, shifting the HM282 at 6500 with taller/better tires in stock, with enough power and aerodynamics you'd run out of gear at 183 mph. But the body does not have the aero stock to get anywhere close to that sort of speed without ENORMOUS power.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:28 AM
^^damn^^

**changes are here**

Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:53 AM
But I wanted to do 257mph....

j/k, I'll see how high I can get mine up to when it's done... on the track of course.

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:15 AM
so for an N/A whats the most boost the stock internals could take
cause most cars can take 8 psi just wondering if its any different for a sunbird
and how much boost did a 1.8 run
Friday, June 30, 2006 3:41 PM
Aaron Cockerham wrote:so for an N/A whats the most boost the stock internals could take
cause most cars can take 8 psi just wondering if its any different for a sunbird
and how much boost did a 1.8 run

I realize you must be new to all this, so here goes. I'm about to ruin what is currently in your head, a simple ordeal and world:

Boost, or rather air pressure in an engine, does not correlate, in any way, or mean in any way, a predefined amount of power, unless you are talking about an identical engine and turbo and everything and you are comparing said engine to itself. then you may be able to say for every psi of boost I make "XX" power. But even then - as the boost pressures climb, so does the temperature as the turbo gets out of it's efficency range, and thus - you'll make less power on a small turbo going from 7 to 10 psi, then you will going from 20 to 23 psi. Then you'll hit a point where you make no more power at all or maybe even LESS power raising the boost higher, if you're that far out of the "range" of the turbo in question.

See not all engines flow the same amount of air fo a given displacement (size) and RPM. A DOHC 16v 2.0 like the european C20LET's head, will flow a lot more air, then a SOHC 8v head like a sunbird turbo's. Therefore, they may make let's say 10 hp per psi on a given turbo, then we might make 7 psi on the 8v head. This is due to the head acting as a restriction to the air flow.

Furthermore, the larger the engine, the greater the airflow so a large 5 liter v8 is going to spool a turbo faster, but also need a larger turbo for more airflow, then a 2 liter 4 cylinder. Thus THAT difference for HP per pSI of boost will ALSO be different.

You must take into account the AIRFLOW of a turbo as well as the PRESSRE it's running at. A small T2 turbo at 15 psi will potentially make less power at the same RPM as a large T3/T3 hybrid. But the smaller turbo will make that power SOONER in the the RPM range - but make less power up top because it's over spinning and therefore heating the air up a lot - which reduces the power made.

So, why am I saying all this? Because it's impossibel to say unless you say "with this turbo, this engine, this car, these mods, AND at this boost level" how much can my stock parts take. There are too many variables.

The CORRECT question, is "how much hp / tq can the stock parts take". or "how many RPM's can the stock part take". That way you are eliminating those other variables.

AS for the answer to THAT.... you're good for 250 hp/tq or so at least with the stock parts, and like 6800 RPM's, assuming proper maintence, motor in good shape, good oil, good coolant temps, etc etc etc. AFter that, things can get iffy. Over 300 hp / tq and you're likely to have problems Rod bolts letting go for instance.

Friday, June 30, 2006 7:35 PM
I undertand all the BS you typed out> I was just wondering about a stock 2.0 8v na. with a stock turbo from a turbo bird t25 with bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump and tuning. that all I wanted to know.
Im not new to the turbo game for as I have a 90 eclipse gsx with 18 lbs of boost
so np Im not new to the turbo game
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search