POWER STEERING PROBLEMS: - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
POWER STEERING PROBLEMS:
Thursday, May 05, 2005 7:40 PM
My power steering pump is making "horsey" noise really loudly and bad.

This is a new pump, the old one did the exact , same thing.
The engine is 2.2

Please advise.

Re: POWER STEERING PROBLEMS:
Thursday, May 05, 2005 8:50 PM
how long have you had it on there? they usually do that for a lil bit after you replace them because of the air in the system. but if you've had it on for a while i dunno try to take it back.

nothing
Friday, May 06, 2005 5:51 AM
About 12 hours. The noise is a little better than the old one, but it's still there. There are also some bubbles in the fluid.
Friday, May 06, 2005 10:47 AM
Update:
I've added Lucas power steering stop leak and the noises are somewhat muted but still present. Approximately 20 miles on car since new pump was installed.

Will update later.
Friday, May 06, 2005 5:47 PM
did u bleed the system..forgive me if im wrong
Saturday, May 07, 2005 6:44 AM
Tried to, but there were still bubbles in the fluid. All hose connections were tight.
Saturday, May 07, 2005 8:56 AM
My pump is new and also still makes noise, i think my rack is bad. I also seem to pop the high pressure hose a lot.

Saturday, May 07, 2005 9:33 AM
leave the cap off the resevoir and crank the wheel back and forth thats how u bleed it
Saturday, May 07, 2005 10:08 AM
SAT 1pm e.s.t.

Marked improvement, but problem is still there. Noise much less frequent and quieter.

Will try to bleed again.
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 2:06 PM
How do i "gut" the power steering pump; I do mostly highway miles and thus do not need power steering. (the noise has obviously not gone away)
Thursday, June 23, 2005 6:49 PM
++

Friday, June 24, 2005 8:31 AM
Just take it apart and remove everything but the shaft and bearings, then loop the lines that come out of the rack to hold the fluid inand get rid of the rest of teh power steering lines, You dont need any special hoses or high prerssure clamps to loop the lines at the rack cause theres not a lot of pressure just a regular hose and some hose clamps will do. but you will hve a reall hard time steering the car, cause its a power steering rack and its not geared to work with ease with out the pump, racks withoit power steering are gearded to give you teh advantange but this one wont be. Its not to bad to turn once your moving but still, its just a work out to turn the whell a hundred more times than you would have if teh pump was fixed.

Friday, June 24, 2005 8:39 AM
Thanks. Will do.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search