2.0 ltr Turbo Fan Problems? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.0 ltr Turbo Fan Problems?
Saturday, July 09, 2005 11:04 PM
This is from a 88 Sunbird GT 2.0L Turbo.

My Fan doesn't come on when the a/c is used, or when it is mid temp's.. It Only come on at 2 point less in the RED! The fan works when I do The Diagnostic test.
Where to start Next? I am Pretty sure I changed the relay? But I am not to sure.
is there anyway to safely manual set the fan to come on without to much of a headache? Or What Should I test. I have Change the Temp Sensor already.

Re: 2.0 ltr Turbo Fan Problems?
Saturday, July 09, 2005 11:58 PM
head over to v6z4.com and look in the how to section and have a look for the fan override. its not hard to do at all.

im guessing it may be the temp sensor for the ecm. if the ecm thinks the motor isnt as warm as it is, it wont turn the fan on.

Sunday, July 10, 2005 5:16 AM
But... is the temp gauge correct??

The fan turns on when the ecm thinks the A/C switch is on or when the temp gets to 226 deg F. This is fairly high on the gauge, and an older temp gauge sender can easily cause the gauge to read incorrectly. Is the car actually getting this hot? A scan tool can be used to confirm the temp at which the fan energizes.

The manual override is a good idea if there's any question, just to save the engine.

gl,
-->Slow
Sunday, July 10, 2005 5:31 AM
I had the same problem....I just wired in a manual switch

Sunday, July 10, 2005 1:07 PM
Well I have try to get to that webpage but there was no webpage there?
Sunday, July 10, 2005 2:36 PM
Sunday, July 10, 2005 9:02 PM
Okay. Well I notice some about that. But Okay Here is my problem now I don't want it to stay on all the time. I want it to come on as soon as the engine is started? This will work but I don't want to forget I left the switch on to come back to a dead battery?
Sunday, July 10, 2005 9:48 PM
if i remember right, the relay has 12 volt power at it when the key is on, and the ecm ground the other side of the circuit to turn it on. the switch is put on the ground side. when you shut the car off, the 12 volts is taken away, so the fan shuts off, even if you leave the switch on.

Monday, July 11, 2005 3:27 AM
i had that problem, i cleaned the plug with wd-40

WARNING: I bring nothing to the table.

Monday, July 11, 2005 5:16 PM
Okay. But The problems is there is 12V still at the relay even if the key is off on my car? Unless I am looking at the Wrong line for this? And When my car is off no key I have 10V at the relay on the green and white wire. The battery 12V Red is connect and jumpered to another contact. And There is a GND wire(witch I am question if it is aground line)?

Norcalstyle, Thanks for the info but I didn't help me.. I notice that tar like stuff on there and clean it. this is something electrical wrong in my car
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:58 AM
Hi Graham

I don't know if this will help but here goes.

On my '82---94 ( my book says)

The coolant fan relay is fed from Fusible link C which is hot at all times, through the Nomally Open contacts to the coolant fan and then Earth.

The coolant fan relay is energised by the Engine Coolant Temperature SENSOR ,power is from the 20 amp c/h fuse through the Electronic Control Module.

This fuse is only HOT in the RUN position of the ignition switch-Maybe take the power for the overide switch from here?.

The Temperature Gauge is operated by the Engine Coolant Temperature SENDER varying
the current passsed through the Temperature Gauge from the 10 Amp gauges fuse.

So the Temperature Gauge and the coolant fan operate from two different sender/sensors.

The temperature gauge usually stops rising when the thermostat (purely mechanical )

opens and allows coolant to pass through the radiator and so reduces the coolant temperature.

My '93 temp goes above the normal position sometimes when I pull a trailer---higher throttle opening same road speed --- not enough air flow through the radiator---the Fan then runs as Slowolej says ie it has reached 226oF on the gauge-this is a higher indicated temperature than NORMAL and will switch OFF when the Engine Coolant Temperature SENSOR detects the coolant temp is below 226oF.

So, as Slowolej/Sharkey suggests you should have changed the old Temperature SENSOR (For the cooling fan)

or have you changed the Temperature SENDER(For the Temp Gauge)

hope this helps

Alont

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 3:42 PM
there are two senders.

1 wire sender = gauge on dash

2 wire sender (small sender, threads into block / head/ etc) = ECM. make sure this one is changed / correct. If the ECM isn't seeing things right, then theres a problem. if this is the one you changed, get the other one and make sure your dash is reading correct.

There is one wire you can ground on the relay to turn the fan on, but i dont remember what it is...

-=[2004 JBody Bash - '82-'94 Street Modified - Third Place]=-
http://www.turbochargedsoul.com/

[TZ3] 1994 Cavalier Z24 Convertible, Automatic, (Boost around the bend)
[TZ2] 1993 3.1 Liter V6 Intercooled TurboChevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible 5 speed
:: REST IN PIECES :: (Parts available, PM me!)
1994 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5sp/EJ22 - Daily Driver
N3LEE - Amateur Radio
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search