attn: anyone who has swapped to a z24 rear bumper? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
attn: anyone who has swapped to a z24 rear bumper?
Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:57 AM
yo, just wondering... i got my stock back bumper on and i'm in the process of fitting the z24 one. i'm cutting down the honeycomb, and i took off the taillights and spacers but i am wondering if you guys had to cut the top lip of the new bumper to fit over the supports on the honeycomb? the honeycomb is almost falling off so i will also have to put some adhesive on it. but it seems i will have to cut the to lip of the bumper (with the holes in it) in order to fit over the honeycomb correctly. does this sound right?

thanks!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/682845/ <=== my '91 Sunbird LE 2.0 4cyl

ALMOST DONE.. '94 Cavalier 2.2L Z-Wannabee (in progress)

Re: attn: anyone who has swapped to a z24 rear bumper?
Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:46 AM
nm, i cut the pieces of the honeycomb that were sticking inward toward the bumper support so that i could fit the lip over it.. i really looked at them and noticed the long pieces werent attached to anything.

sorry to waste your guys' time..

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/682845/ <=== my '91 Sunbird LE 2.0 4cyl

ALMOST DONE.. '94 Cavalier 2.2L Z-Wannabee (in progress)
Sunday, August 07, 2005 12:38 PM
Since you figured it out, I'm jacking your thread

I swapped the whole bumper assembly off a ph1 onto my ph2, but the back support bumper doesn't line up at all... It's currently only held on with 2 screws and has massive sag. Did anyone else have this line up, or did you drill a new mounting hole?

Visit my cardomain
Sunday, August 07, 2005 12:40 PM
theres honeycomb behind the bumpers??? hmm... my VL was just a solid metal bumper. same with my front. i took out a lexus SUV and didn't do @!#$ to me, or my car. that just proves, they don't make them like they used too

Sunday, August 07, 2005 2:17 PM
The ph2 cars had honeycomb. Mine had honeycomb, but I switched to ph1 bumpers with the kit

Visit my cardomain
Sunday, August 07, 2005 5:52 PM
Just get rid of the honey comb and the bumper fits like stock.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:51 PM
The actual reinforcement is different between Zs and base models. The base mdoels have the honeycomb, and the Zs have shock absorbers. If you swap a Z cover onto a base model reinforcement, you will lose the 5mph rating since you no longer have any absorption.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 8:40 AM
So is that why my 88Z rear reinforcement won't bolt up? Were the mounting points to the body of the car different?

Visit my cardomain
Saturday, August 13, 2005 9:55 AM
The mounting points are the same. The Z bumpers are 3 piece deal (two absorbers and the rail), whereas the base are only one piece (similar to the front reinforcement). Whats the exact problem you're having?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search