Master and Slave Cylinders???? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Master and Slave Cylinders????
Monday, August 08, 2005 1:01 PM
Ok all...I have some questions about replacement of my master and slave cylinders in my 89 Cavy Z24.

I had the clutch replaced by Aamco about 3 weeks ago. I started having problems getting it into 1st and 2nd gear about 50% of the time. So I decide to take it back to Aamco and have them look at it. Know they are saying that I need a new master and slave cylinders because with a new clutch there is more pressure then the old cylinders can handle. Does this sound right or are they BSing me?

The next question is how hard is it to replace them on my car? What does the job entail…dropping the tranny, etc…

Thanks for the info.
Erik

Mr. Andresen AKA Erik
Representing 2nd Gens...'89 Cavalier Z24

Re: Master and Slave Cylinders????
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 1:23 PM
We have all of these people on here with 2nd Gen Cavaliers and no one can tell me how hard it is to replace the master and slave cylinders on a 89 Z24. Please help guys!

Mr. Andresen AKA Erik
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 6:39 PM
It makes sence to replace the slave cylinder cause of it not going into gear, cause thats what separates the cluth from the flywheel, and if it wasnt extending all the way it would be like putting the clutch half way down and trying to shift, you might actually hear it grinding as you try to put it in gear and it wont go. But I have no idea how hard it is to change on a cavy, but I've done it a few times on rwd v8's and its pretty easy, but I dont know were its mounted on a cavy, as long as its external it shouldnt be to bad.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 7:32 PM
I have never done this on a Cavalier, mine is automatic.

It does say in the book that individual components are not available separately.

It does seem farly easy to take out the slave cylinder. master cylinder and the hydraulic line, all at once, as one unit. The slave cylinder should move at least 7/16 inch with clutch pedal fully depressed if it's working properly.

It could just need bleeding of air?-worth a try before you replace it.

I would at least buy a Haynes or Chiltons book, they don't contain everything, but do cover quite a bit.

I have personally never come across this defect as you describe. If the system is not leaking fluid it can only be an internal leak!

Did you have any problems getting into first or second gear BEFORE the clutch was replaced?

Good Luck

Alont
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:18 PM
no they arent bs-ing you, ive had to tell customers the same thing (im a trans tech). with a worn clutch the slave doesnt need to travel as far to release the clutch. however when you put a new clutch in, the slave must travel the full distance to release the clutch and when your hydralics are worn, they bypass some fluid and the slave wont travel the full distance.

there are a couple ways you can go. you can buy the induvidual master and slave cylender from any auto parts store. the biggest thing with replacing the components is bleeding the system. i would say that the gm fwd cars are one of the hardest to blead properly. you get some air out, realy dont get much of a pedal feel, and get real frustersated (been there done that).
the best solution is to replace the master and slave as a unit. GM makes a pre-bled master and slave with line, all assembled ready to be installed. the best thing is its a bolt in unit, no bleading or screwing around. its about a 1/2hr- hour job to change it, and no, the tranny doesnt have to come off.

basicly take the aircan off, undo the 2 bolts holding the slave to the bracket and it just pops out. crawl under the dash and unhook the rod going to the pedal and undo the 2 nuts on the firewall from outside and pull the whole thing out.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:01 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies!! I'm glad somebody could help me!

Know that I think about it more the only time I had problems getting it into 1st was once and both 1st and 2nd was twice in about 500 miles. That 500 miles includes 250 miles highway driving switching it between 4th and 5th a lot and 250 miles driving in downtown Seattle (stop and go). The time I did not get it into 1st I put it into 2nd, gave it a little more gas, and it took off. The times that it did not go into 1st or 2nd I double clutched and it went into 1st with no problems. Both times were on a steep hill with the car try to role backwards.

The second thing that is making me second guess the guy at Aamco is that I never noticed any leaking clutch fluid on the ground. And since I have an 89 I look under the car pretty offen.

The third thing that is making me second guess the guy at Aamco is that he told me that if I didn't replace it right now (before I picked it up) I'm going to damage my tranny and/or clutch. When I told him that I'm not stupid and that I'm not going to force it into gear when the clutch is not fully disengaged.

Anyway, I decided to pick it up and see if it is truly leaking and in the long ride (over the next few weeks) I will probably replace it anyway. I ask the guy at Aamco to bleed the system and he said it was not helping any.

Does anybody have a part number and a price (ballpark works) for the complete system from GM? Also can I get that local at a GM dealer or on-line? I sent an email to gmdirect.com asking what the part number is, but they replied back that it will take 2 - 3 days to answer my question.

Thanks again for the help. And yes I have a Hanes book but it is in the car right now, which does not help me any on finding out what the swap involves.

Thanks!

Mr. Andresen AKA Erik
Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:14 PM
Part #: 22545712
$105.89
from gmpartsdirect.com

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:43 PM
pezed wrote:Part #: 22545712
$105.89
from gmpartsdirect.com

Is that for the complete set including the master and slave cylinder already bleed?

Mr. Andresen AKA Erik
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search