ugh.. one problem after another.... - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ugh.. one problem after another....
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:16 PM
my car cuts off, i guess its called stalling, the engine shuts off and the power stays on. now my steering column is LOOSE as hell... theres definitely problems there. but i don't think this is in the column, i think its either an alternator issue, battery cables, or something completely unforseen. but um.. the car stalls at low speeds like around 5mph.... twice it happened right after shifting back to drive from reverse.. so suggestions on the cause are welcome.

i have changed a coil and i think the previous owner changed the other one before, i dunno if that has to do with anything.

i have a video of how loose the steering column is somewhere, while i look however, you guys think of possible causes and things to check.

thank u.

Re: ugh.. one problem after another....
Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:24 AM
expected a bit more interest but i'm not completely shocked, y'all probably were waiting on the video which i finally found... only 11mb so if you're on broadband you'll be fine.... 56k, hang in there...? *shrug*

anyway, here it is:

video (download)

its even looser now than it is in that 3 month old video...

Thursday, September 28, 2006 11:40 PM
update: no stalls in the last two days.

after i get home from school later on today, Lord willing i make it, i'm gonna start taking the column apart and relying on myself and my repair manual.. and my $15 tool set

Friday, September 29, 2006 2:09 PM
you need a gm colum key remover/inserter tool, there's dowel pins in your steering column and now their loose so it won't hold the wheel in place (my old column did that) it was priceless!

1st 1st gen on air.....
Friday, September 29, 2006 2:42 PM
I enjoyed the moving movie

I think this is the link Abbys reffering to

Alont

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=106864&t=106864#106864
Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:52 AM
where can i find that tool? whats the official name of it cuz my searches are coming up cold.

do i take the column cover off around the sides or do i go in through the steering wheel, lock plate, signal lever, etc?

Monday, October 02, 2006 2:23 PM
^^^^^^^

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 1:28 PM
f*** this, i'm gonna find a new column..

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:29 AM
as far as your stalling problem, make surer there are no vaccum leaks... those are nefarious for problems.

-=[2004 JBody Bash - '82-'94 Street Modified - Third Place]=-
http://www.turbochargedsoul.com/

[TZ3] 1994 Cavalier Z24 Convertible, Automatic, (Boost around the bend)
[TZ2] 1993 3.1 Liter V6 Intercooled TurboChevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible 5 speed
:: REST IN PIECES :: (Parts available, PM me!)
1994 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5sp/EJ22 - Daily Driver
N3LEE - Amateur Radio
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search