provide me with help on my new WiP ('88 sunbird gt convertible) - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
provide me with help on my new WiP ('88 sunbird gt convertible)
Sunday, September 30, 2007 5:18 PM
Ok so i have an old 1988 Sunbird GT convertible that doesn't do anything but sit outside my house and slowly die more and more every day lol.
i LOVE this car!!! i have a new car now but nothing is the same as my baby. but its got some problems such as tranny slips. engine oil leaks, radiator is cracked and leaks. and the engine is ready to go.

i want to do like a 3400 or 3800 swap into this car and this is where you need to help me out.

FIRST question... what do i need to come up with for this swap... either engine... what engines can i get for a 3400 or for a 3800.... what parts do i need for each type of swap. i remember a website that had a detailed guide on this but have since then lost it.

second question.... i want to convert it from a automatic to a manual is this possible and how hard would it be in my car?

remember this thing is not a driver car and has currently been dorment for MONTHS. my mom wants me to sell it but i dont think i could get enough money out of it. so why not do what i always dreamed about with this car.

-zack-

Re: provide me with help on my new WiP ('88 sunbird gt convertible)
Sunday, September 30, 2007 9:56 PM
um...... 88 sunbird gt..... isnt that a turbo car ......

if so ill trade ya a 3400 for it (by it i mean engine ... tranny ... ecm and wiring harnes

Sunday, September 30, 2007 10:13 PM
the turbo motor was an option in itself, you could have an LE (base model) with a turbo motor and no other options, or a fully loaded GT with a 2.0l tbi.

the 3400 swap is a lot simpler than a 3800. a 3800 is a lot more custom work and a lot more wiring issues. the 3400 is pretty much a bolt in. for the 3400 you need to get a 3.1l rear mount bracket, custom front mount bracket (contact 6 shooter on v6z24 or jbp). a 3.1l 5 speed will bolt right up (use an 87-91, 92+ go to a different vss pickup), so will the clutch and flywheel, and use the v6 5 speed tranny mount bracket. use v6 j body axles and rad. for the wiring and computer, use an 89-91 2.8/3.1l wiring harness and ecm, there are enough people out there doing custom chips for the 3400 swaps, some are getting 35mpg and running low 14 1/4 mile times. as for the 5 speed swap part of it, it isnt that hard. aside from the tranny and axles, you need the shifter and cables (v6 stuff), center console, master/slave cylender, and the clutch pedal assembly. you will need to drill 4 holes to mount the pedal and the big hole for the master cylender. thats about as hard as it gets.

head over to www.60degreev6.com for more info on the motors, and www.domesticcrew.com for info on the swap.

Monday, October 01, 2007 4:05 AM
sadly it is not the turbo engine

but thanks a lot sharkey i felt kinda bad about just posting another message to the 1000 already that probably ask my question and by the end of the night i was set on a 3400 drop but your list of parts is the most straight forward help i can get!!!! i used to have the list of parts and stuff saved on my computer but apparently it was deleted.

again thanks A LOT

another question tho.
can i just pick any of the 3400 cars from the domesticcrew site to get these parts from?

-zack-
Monday, October 01, 2007 6:28 PM
certain cars have the parts needed for this swap. for example, you need the throttle cable from a beretta 3100, this is because it uses the same throttle pedal as a 2nd gen j body. things listed there are what people have found to work, other stuff might work but its untested.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search