building a drifter - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
building a drifter
Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:56 PM
alright guys so check this out. had a friend give me his 1992 plymouth laser shell. so i figured lets do something with it. so i want to build a drifter. i ahve my own shop so fab isnt an issue and i have built turbo kits. but i dont have any chrylser/mitsubishi parts only cavalier stuff seems i race cavaliers so here is what i want to do. i am taking a 93-94 2.2 ohv engine and mounting it front to back with a s10 trans and a ford mustang 8.8 rear end. i ahve everything laying around so it will be cheap exept for building the motor. ross racing pistons makes us cuatom high compression pistions for the race car so i want to have some low compression made for this and ill use teh eagle rods. but my main question is how much power can the stock crank handle?

Re: building a drifter
Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:35 AM
If your your just bolting the engine in and custom wiring it, you could get alot better of an engine to put in there. This is like building a Funny Car and planting a Small Block Chevy in it.
Friday, December 14, 2007 2:29 PM
i race cavaliers so i have 15+ engines so i am doing this for ease of reapair and cheap ness seems i have everythign i just want to know what the stock crank is good for
Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:27 AM
why THE @!#$ would you use a 2.2L engine? hell for that you dont even need a 8.8 a regular 7.5" mustang rear would be PLENTY for what that engine has to offer lmfao

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 9:19 AM
he already said why hes using the 2.2. so stop asking

if ya wanna know about the 2.2 the best peps to talk to would b mad jack and i believe sloj
i wanna say that the stock crank has held 300 but im not sure .... (it was turbo) with a main for every throw its pretty strong
what are ya wanting it to handle

Thursday, January 03, 2008 1:11 PM
also contact onereddry on v6z24.com he has a killer 2.2 build.
Thursday, January 03, 2008 1:18 PM
also contact oneredry on v6z24.com he has a killer 2.2 build.
Sunday, January 06, 2008 5:31 PM
i was looking at 300-400 hp, for k=now we are going to be using a 5.0 ho out of a mustang because i have one out back in the shed with the wiring and everythign so that will work for now
Sunday, January 06, 2008 5:48 PM
98 plymouth laser with a 5.0 ho engine=badass

98 plymouth laser with a 2.2 ohv engine=not so badass even if it is 300 horsepower

Good luck with the build.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:54 PM
anyway you will need rwd, and for drifting you dont always need a lot of power, just remember to get a really good suspension when its all said and done, in drifting suspension is key!

Racing isn't a hobby, its a business
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 1:00 PM
shouldnt this be in "Other Cars" ??

Sam

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:47 AM
Sam Krajnik wrote:shouldnt this be in "Other Cars" ??

Why?

Bob Guptill wrote:i am taking a 93-94 2.2 ohv engine and mounting it front to back with a s10 trans and a ford mustang 8.8 rear end. i ahve everything laying around so it will be cheap exept for building the motor. ross racing pistons makes us cuatom high compression pistions for the race car so i want to have some low compression made for this and ill use teh eagle rods. but my main question is how much power can the stock crank handle?

Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:50 PM
because all he's talking about potentially using from a J is the engine. And that's only a possibility. I just thought that this would be in other cars being that he wants to use a Laser shell, and parts from an S-10 and a mustang and maybe a J. Just a thought

Sam
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search