questions about my 91 cav - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
questions about my 91 cav
Saturday, March 08, 2008 4:58 PM
i recently purchased a southern 1991 cavalier (very very clean). i bought the car for fuel economy, i was driving a 94 s10 blazer and was sick and tired of putting gas in it. i love the fuel economy of the cavalier, its great in the snow, and they are a cheap and usually simple car to fix (compared to the cars built today). im happy with the car but im getting a weird vibration between 40-45 mph. vibration comes and goes, it doesnt occur constantly. i also noticed that the car vibrates at idle at a stop light, but i dont know what excessive vibration is for these cars. what could cause this, the only thing i found wrong with the car is that the trans fluid was down about 1/2 quart. i was thinking that maybe i have a worn engine mount? i topped off the trans but the vibration is still there.i dont think the trans if going bad, its a TH125 which i have had several of those trans in other cars, and they are a very durable trans. the car has a 2.2 TBI engine. i also wanted to let you guys know that i had a rust prevention treatment done, and im hopping if i have it done every year the car will last a long time. i think these are great little cars. any ideas on the vibration would be great, thanks

Re: questions about my 91 cav
Saturday, March 08, 2008 11:50 PM
It could be one out of several things.Anything to do with suspension,mounts,or even computer.Does the car die out at all,like after driving 100km per hour for about 2 hrs does it die out when you go to stop,or run rough at all?

Vote for my car for car of the month on www.v6z24.com..
Sunday, March 09, 2008 7:11 AM
car doesnt die out at all, only a vibration like i have described.
Sunday, March 09, 2008 10:58 AM
Its your upper trans mount. Common problem with the 2.2/125 combo.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 1:40 PM
how difficult is replacement? i had my front tires balanced and it helped but i still have a slight vibration. i think the trans mount is what im going to look at next. is it the mount located near the strut tower?
Monday, March 10, 2008 4:24 PM
Its the one on the drivers side above the trans. Its pretty easy to do, you just need to jack up the engine a touch to take the weight off, then unbolt it and bolt the new one in.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:22 PM
James Cahill wrote:Its your upper trans mount. Common problem with the 2.2/125 combo.

also could be the rear mount on the passenger side right infront of the firewall, done that on 2 2.2 auto J bodys so far
Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:46 PM
Bah. My wagon vibrated all the time. I think that's part of why my wife misses it so much.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, March 14, 2008 4:40 PM
seanski wrote:
James Cahill wrote:Its your upper trans mount. Common problem with the 2.2/125 combo.

also could be the rear mount on the passenger side right infront of the firewall, done that on 2 2.2 auto J bodys so far

I've never seen or heard of that causing a vibration before. At least not as much as the upper trans mount. It certainly could though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search