90ish 2.2 eating Spark Plugs - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
90ish 2.2 eating Spark Plugs
Sunday, April 20, 2008 8:11 PM
We have a 2.2 1993? Cavalier circle track car it just recentlly started eating spark plugs. It burns up the spark pretty bad. I know on older cars you would adjust the timing with the distributer, but these have coil packs. Is it possible that a coil pack is going bad ? Were not sure what's going on any help would be appreciated. We ran a 100 lap enduro today changed the plug at the beggining abou 60 laps in it burned the plug up and my Dad still finished 5th. Also burned the same spark plug up at the endof last year.

Re: 90ish 2.2 eating Spark Plugs
Sunday, April 20, 2008 8:53 PM
? what does the plug or plugs look like when u pull them.Does it smell of gas strong,or have black soot or a oily residue. It could be several things one is if it has lots of oil on it u may have a ring issue with that cyldr or fuel pump issue(maybe) rich mixture.Two carbon black buildup car is running rich and car needs timing checked or low compression or maybe coils.There are several things that can cause it.Just depends if its one plug or all of them.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:20 PM
Just one plug and what's left of it is carbonized I guess. Black and charcol looking, maybe it's low compression the car has 206,000 miles on it.
Monday, April 21, 2008 1:27 PM
start with a compression check, and a new wire.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:30 PM
Which cylinder is it?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search