TCC Question - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TCC Question
Monday, May 19, 2008 9:02 AM
what are the symptoms of your TCC going out?

what does your tranny do or don't do when the TCC goes out?

thanks

MikeC!
91 sunbird Convertible
3.1 with an automatic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3038464

Re: TCC Question
Monday, May 19, 2008 3:16 PM
The classic symptom is that the (thoroughly warmed up) car stalls when you come to a stop from mid-high speed. As it gets worse, it'll happen more often, and you will have an increasingly harder time restarting the car.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:08 AM
ok another quick question then... where on the tranny is the TCC located at?

MikeC!
91 sunbird Convertible
3.1 with an automatic
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:13 PM
Keep in mind if u do unplug the tcc and replace the part you need to replace the transmission fluid and filter which is what burned up the switch in the first place.What happens if the fluids breaks down as like oil viscosity and it gets TOO hot and fries the switch.As for the exact location of the part I myself do not know but,wanted to share this info in the event you disconnect the part due to problems and decide to replace the part.Hope this helps and may some one tell u where it is exactly I know it is a two wire switch plug to my knowledge based on advance auto parts website.They part is listed in trans parts and listed as a solenoid I think with out looking it up.Hope this is useful.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:51 AM
i had to unhook my switch in my 88 4cyl, it was on the fron of the tranny right behind the radiator, think it had 3 or 4 wires coming out of it. after that i had no probs riding it until i fixed it.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/tntodc38107/droid.jpg
speed is only for those who use it, smoke or get smoked!!!
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:00 AM
well i don't think it's mt TCC after all, I think my transmission is just giving up after 145,000 miles, when the tranny is completly cool such as in the morning when i leave for work or in the evening when i leave work for home, I have 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear & the tc doesn't lock out, then once it gets warmed up good & I have to stop, it will shift into 1st & then into second & then will not shift into 3rd, then if I stop for 15 minutes or more & let it cool down, i have 3rd gear again,, MAYBE... yesterday i drove about 41 of my 50 mile 1 way drive home in 2nd gear.... really sux cause i couldn't (or shouldn't) drive over 45 cause i was in second gear the whole time, thats hard on a engine let me tell you..

local tranny shop where i live says 850 to 950 to rebuild if i bring them the car, or if i bring them tranny only, knock about 300.00 off the rebuild price.

sigh

MikeC!
91 sunbird Convertible
3.1 with an automatic
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:58 PM
I would start with doing a transmission filter and fluid change 1st! If the fluid in ur trans is way old it may be heating up and seizing due to temps.It being a auto I would lean towards this first and not necess a need to do a rebuild soley on ur specific situation.IF the issue were all the time I would think it would be the bearings inside are worn and noisy and slipping as a example.Spend say 40.00 to due the fluid,filter and gasket and maybe buy the tcc versus the rebuild cost and see if it improves.It would only be a small amount of time and cost to prevent a larger cost and lack of car use if it just needs a simple maintenance procedure to cure the OLD trans fluid and filter that's just worn out.That is my recomm.If the fluid is over 60,000 miles it's prolly toast and fluid being low can cause slipping or hard shifting .

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:30 AM
try seal conditioner

if its not too late then it may come back to life

145k should be still ok so as long as the fluid was changed in a timely fashion over its life

if it smells anything like other than new fluid and if it smells burnt and is really dark then its probably done for

burnt = heat and toasted clutch pack discs and seals

pull the pan and look for any metal shavings specks pieces or worse

black stuff in the bottom of the pan will be normal so as long as its fine dust like stuff

lots of silver gray buildup or metal shavings = toasted

conditioner is always good for higher mileage trannies that will have hardened seals and such from age and heat

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:36 AM
oh and also, if its still mamking fuel smells today then its probably due to the stuck converter clutch making the ECM think it is under load and so it is trying ot run faster by injecting more fuel, to try and stay running, fighting the converter clutch

good luck

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:29 PM
Sounds like good advice, change the fluid, cheap repair if it fixes it. My tc solenoid went out and the symptom is- when you stop after it is warmed up the car will stall, it acts like a standard transmission in high gear, you can start it in neutral, but when you put it in any other forward gear it stays in high and stalls. The solenoid is easy to change out, but a waste of time if other problems exist-CHANGE THAT FLUID !
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:41 AM
well did a fluid and filter change saturday morning, more like afternoon, fluid was toast, no shavings in pan, the magnet had some dust on it but not alot & not bad, after change, & initial drive around to get it warm so i could check fluid level it was shifting all the way to 3rd but no tc lockout, then i checked level, added half a quart to get it full, BTW was 4.5 quarts to fill it up, n e ways, drove around a little more same thing, then a while later needed to take son to pick his gf up at her friends house & it was a 12 mile drive so i am like yeah lets see what happens, well tranny acted up but then cleared up & was ok after that, then saturday night i drove like 20 miles round trip to another town & back with about a 2 hour stop between drives & it shifted great going there & the tc locked out, but was a slow to lock out type of thing, then on my way home, same thing, shifted & tc locked out but was a not a pronounced lock out, more like a rpm's just slowly dropped 250 rpm's. then i ran out of gas pulling in my driveway.... dang it... oh well... i think the fluid & filter change was what was needed for the tranny.

thanks

MikeC!
91 sunbird Convertible
3.1 with an automatic

Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:40 PM
See some minor maintenance and corrected.That is what this site about helping share info and enjoying our Js.Glad to see a small cost as advised payed off.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:01 PM
umm first of all, that tcc being locked some of you are talking about is the notorious "sticking" tcc SOLONOID. That isnt a sign of anything. The solonoid sticks on these trannies over time, thats that . period.

Second your tranny has problems, its not fixed. Most logical thing is you had so much crap in your filter than changing that was a temporary (if that) fix.

Dont get your hopes up, U said it yourself even after the service it still acted up. IF fluid is burnt it doesnt just mean new fluid and its good, a compnent(s) got burnt,

Have fun!

89 355 s10 blazer
94 sunbird, 2.0 turbo 5spd getrag swap
Turbonetics turbo, intercooler, E85 20psi
Friday, June 20, 2008 3:07 PM
I will try to explain changing the TCC solenoid, I found pics on robskorner.org.
1- jack up the wheel
2-use jackstand !
3-remove wheel
4-remove "splash"panel
5-clean off cover on trans that is facing you(held on with lots-o-bolts)
6-take out bolts(you may have to jack car up or down slightly to get bottom bolts)
7-take off cover
8-match up your new solenoid from autoworks(cheapest here $23.00)to the part that has to come out,mine was right in front in middle
9-take 1 screw out and remove old solenoid and cut the 2 wires loose(pay attention to colors!)
10-the new one came w/wire clip-connectors, lay old wires into connectors and clamp together(did you pay attention to the colors?)
11-put it back together
12-cover has a gasket, or you can use some make-a-gasket
13-add fluid if you need, I didnt lose enough to have to.

solved my problem, good luck!!!
Sunday, June 22, 2008 5:32 PM
ron demink wrote:I will try to explain changing the TCC solenoid, I found pics on robskorner.org.
1- jack up the wheel
2-use jackstand !
3-remove wheel
4-remove "splash"panel
6-take out bolts(you may have to jack car up or down slightly to get bottom bolts)
7-take off cover
8-match up your new solenoid from autoworks(cheapest here $23.00)to the part that has to come out,mine was right in front in middle
9-take 1 screw out and remove old solenoid and cut the 2 wires loose(pay attention to colors!)
10-the new one came w/wire clip-connectors, lay old wires into connectors and clamp together(did you pay attention to the colors?)
11-put it back together

NOTE !....CORRECTION..step by step pics are on v6z24.com, NOT robskorner.org
Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:52 PM
Luckily, it looks like the sunbirds have a GOB of room, alot of these fwd ones the side cover is too close to the frame, looks like a walk in the park for these.

89 355 s10 blazer
Monday, June 23, 2008 3:46 PM
chad mishler wrote:Luckily, it looks like the sunbirds have a GOB of room, alot of these fwd ones the side cover is too close to the frame, looks like a walk in the park for these.

Yes the frame can be a slight problem, thats why you have to jack the frame/engine up & down slightly to get at the bolts
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:32 PM
ANOTHER CORRECTION...found part at Advance autoparts, NOT autoworks
1- jack up the wheel
2-use jackstand !
3-remove wheel
4-remove "splash"panel
7-take off cover
11-put it back together

NOTE !....CORRECTION..step by step pics are on v6z24.com, NOT robskorner.org
Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:57 PM
mines doing the same thing. changed the fluid and filter before it started acting up. is my trans shot? the car only has 125,000 miles on it.
Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:19 PM
umm if by same thing you mean the conerter staying locked, then no, your tranny isnt going out.

89 355 s10 blazer
Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:46 PM
I would think ur trans if fine too as stated already,it prolly means the switch or part was close to dieing anyway regardless of the maintenance u did,and it just finally started to fail,nothing uncommon.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:25 AM
o took it to a trans shop he said that the Governor is sticking. does any one know where i can buy one.
Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:17 PM
Try advance auto parts 1st. They just about carry everthing for our old js.Second choice auto zone then napa, carquest.I would just go a click on online shopping choose the category it may fall under then u can enter ur cars specs to narrow down if they offer it.I just am way lazy 2night to c if they do being I surf there alot.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search