isuzu trans info/parts - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
isuzu trans info/parts
Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:58 PM
hey guys as you know i race my cav a lot, and for those of you that dont ill post a couple pics at the bottom of this

but right now we are having rpm issues at teh end of the straight we are at about 5600 in third gear i was wondering if any of you genious' know the gear rations in these trans, the gearset and final drive as well.we would like to be around 6000-6400 rpm at the end of the straights. i see that mantapart has stuff available but really dont want to deal because of their reviews. does anyone else sell parts or can i swap stuff from other trans to raise the rpms a little

Re: isuzu trans info/parts
Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:13 PM
Mantapart sucks. Don't ever order anything from them. Period.

That out of the way.....

Ratios
1- 3.91
2- 2.18
3- 1.45
4- 1.03
5- .74
FD- 3.58

With a 24.5" tire (IIRC- 205/50/16, stock Z24 size), you should be around 80-85mph in third at 5600. What are you at?

There isn't any aftermarket AFAIK for the Isuzu MK7 trans. In fact, there really isn't much you can do with the MG2 (the 6 cyl trans) besides swap the FD out for the 3.94 either. The MG2 will bolt up to the 2.2 just fine, but I don't see you having any gain, since the 2.2 isn't torquey enough to actually use the gearing.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:58 PM
i knew you would be the first to respond james

right now the motor we are running is a stock 2.2 bottom end with the 99 style pistons(less dish) custom ground race cams, .070 shaved head and reworked valve areas. the tires we are running are a 215/60d13 american racer race tire on 13x7 inch wheels with a 2 inch backspace

the tire size is almost an inch smaller in diameter from the stock z24 size you compared. is there anything i can do with the isuzu to raise the gear ratio, i have a ton of those but only one of the getrag from a z24

could i have a custom final drive machined?

also because you are so knowledgable james what are the gear ratios for the MG2??

Are the gear ratios any different on the older style 4 spd, i have one of those as well
Monday, August 25, 2008 7:27 PM
I wouldn't call it being knowledgeable, just being able to copy and paste crap I've saved on my computer

MG2-
1- 3.5
2- 2.05
3- 1.38
4- .94
5- .72
FD- 3.61

There is also a Getrag out of a Fiero that can give you some different gears, but they would need to be swapped into the MG2 housing. I didn't do any of the research on that one, I was just given the final gearing results. 1st- 3.31, and FD- 3.32. The W41 Getrag has a 3.94 FD, but again, it would need to be swapped into the housing.

Anything is possible as far as machining goes. You may be able to find another Isuzu with gears that will fit too. 3d gens used an Isuzu, but I have no clue if they're internally similar. In fact, I have no idea if any 3rd gen guys have ever looked into it either. Most of them simply swap to the later model Getrag and call it good.

With the older 4 speed, whats the RPO? Its the trans behind the 2.0OHV right?

I can talk to a few buddies and see what they can do on some desktop dyno stuff they have to work out some good ratios.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:31 AM
ya i believe the 4 spd was hooked to the 2.0 maybe even the 1.8 haha
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search