best thing to do with a 94 j body. - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best thing to do with a 94 j body.
Wednesday, May 06, 2009 10:49 PM
i have this 94 sunbird that is more apart of my memories than anything i know .

it runs fine has few issues with the body that needs addressing but whatever . it has a 2.0 which was bored out years ago and larger pistons were placed in there . but other than bolt on's she's stock .

i want to make her rage . i was thinking of a series II 3800 supercharged .

what are some other options . that motor seems a bit too large and heavy for the j body . but i love superchargers , and i would really want one on this american made car .

please recogmend tranny's as well . i want to keep it automatic .

are cluster swaps ineveitable?

i want her to look as stock as possible .

thanks guys.

Re: best thing to do with a 94 j body.
Thursday, May 07, 2009 11:20 AM
You can do the 3400 swap much easier. They make a supercharger for that engine. Neither option will be cheap but the power output should be about the same and less weight with the 3400.
Friday, May 08, 2009 9:08 PM
I have a 92 cavalier and i had really considered the 3800 series 2 sc untill i realized how much work was involved, the 3800 is a good motor but weighs about 100 pounds more than the 3400 and makes alittle more power. I would consider the 3400 with 100 pounds lighter and about 185 to 200 to the wheels plus there isnt as much stressful work with 3400 as there is with the 3800.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/88/l_009839c3c01049574fa1661e0d1c9598.jpg
Friday, May 08, 2009 9:58 PM
does the stock 3 speed auto trans match up with the 3400?
can it handle that much power?

what are other options for the trans?

thank you
Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:54 PM
Yes. Currently the TH 125 is the best option you have without either converting to 5 speed or bringing in an entire engine harness/body harness that controls the transmission used with later 3400s. (electronic shifting compared to hydraulic)

It can handle the power. You have to get a kickdown cable from a quad 4 equipped car from the early 90s to control the TB correctly.

I hate snakes in the grass who just wait for the weak
and then pounce.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:32 PM
so i read on the other site about the kickdown cable , as well as new mounts , hose , powersteering pump ect.

but the 3400 will definatly line up with the belhousing on the stock 3 speed and it can definatly handle the power?

could it handle more power than that? if i built the 3400?

also the 3400 will run off my stock ecu? how do i modify the ecu to tune it for the 3400?? im sure ignition timing and fuel will have to be mapped?

is it possible to tune the stock ecu the way you can with obdII? where you flash a new map?

thank you
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:07 AM
It will not bolt up to your current transmission unfortunately. The 2.0 motor is junk to begin with and has a completely different bolt pattern than the V6s.

A TH125 from a v6 equipped Z24 is able to handle the power of a 3400. If you want to build it up, I suggest getting a 5 speed and swap it in. Your best bet if you are serious is to get a v6 parts car and swap over parts depending on how your body is with rust. Finding a rust free 88-94 Jbody is next to impossible nowadays. I traveled 26 hours roundtrip to get mine from Arkansas a couple years ago. But my car is rust free and very worth the trip.

The 3400 is capable of running off of a stock V6 ECU without tuning. However, you will not have the best power. Best bet would be to hop over to V6z24.com and look around at some people who burn chips for people.

You can not tune the stock ECU at all. You have to physically get a new chip or an emulator (Ostrich from Moates.net) with the memcal adapter to tune it.

I hate snakes in the grass who just wait for the weak
and then pounce.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search