Misaligned numbers in odometer - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Misaligned numbers in odometer
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:25 AM
Hi ppl,
In January I purchased a 92 Cavalier Coupe in almost mint conditions. The car was driven by an old man, the first owner. At the moment of the purchase, the odometer was showing 59600 miles but the numbers were a bit misaligned. About the engine: smooth and the compression was over 160 in the four cylinders. Even the front lamps, the seat carpets were look clean and new. The wheel had some wear. Btw, it passed the vehicle inspections. Emissions: 3 parts per million, original suspension at 58% of efficiency...
The last night the Cavy reached 60000 miles... and the number looked so weird: the first 6 digits "060000" looked half down, but aligned. The 7th digit (tenths of mile) was in the middle. As it rolls up, the 6th digit tends to move to the middle, but the other digits stays half down.
I was looking at Ebay and most of the 2nd gen savaged clusters have misaligned numbers.
And the question is: Is it a common issue of these odometers or it was rolled back? what do you think?
btw, I live in Peru, so, no carfax or historical info abt mileages...
Thanks for your feedback!

Re: Misaligned numbers in odometer
Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:54 AM
Those odometers have a tamper proof feature that if you try to roll the odometer back lines will appear across all the numbers. I have owned 4 of these cars now and they all seem weird, driving at low speeds may cause this or it is related with the trip meter some how.
Re: Misaligned numbers in odometer
Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:46 AM
Thanks for your answer... I feel better...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search