Dome light question - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dome light question
Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:05 AM
Ok so when I open up the drivers door the dome light doesn't come on but it comes on when you open the passanger door what could it be?

Re: Dome light question
Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:54 AM
I own a 89' Sunbird gt and there is a small switch halfway up the front door post, sometimes the pin on the switch sticks in and needs to be pulled out.
Remove the switch and clean it is the best way to solve the problem, lubricate the seal to stop moisture from getting in and causing another problem.
Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:47 PM
I believe its on the door lock its self because there is wires that go to it. Now i checked for voltage going to it and it was good and i checked the resistance on it and it was pretty low so i think its the lock its self what does everyone else think plus how do i get it out and where can i buy one?
Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:31 PM
OK, take what I'm about to say with 2 things in mind:

1. I really don't know what I'm talking about here, but maybe what's going through my mind can help and at the end, at least one of us will learn something
2. I don't have a 2nd gen, mine is 1st gen...

so...

In your model, does the light come on when you pull the door handle while the car is still locked (my '92 Grand Prix had this feature)? If this is the case, I would suspect it is the HANDLE, not the LOCK (because if you always left it unlocked, the lock would have no idea you are opening the door, therefore the light would never turn on). This would mean the HANDLE on your driver door isn't tripping the switch.

I have to agree with Lewis on this one, the plunger style switch at the front of the door is the one my 1st gen has and that switch can sometimes get stuck pushed in.
Monday, April 12, 2010 2:59 AM
The thing is there is no switch on the handle Its a rod that connects to the lock which when you pull the handle it moves the rod on the lock and I guess the switch is in side the lock it's self. Because I can grab the out side or inside Handel and it still does nothing.
Monday, April 12, 2010 3:01 PM
If you have a 90'-94 model there is a switch actuator inside the latch that will seize do to corrosion or lack of lubricant, rarely do they mechanically fail. An easy way to solve this is to spray WD40 liberally into latch arm opening and cycle the door handle repeatedly until it frees itself up. If that do not solve it remove the latch from the door ( be carefull not break,drop or lose the rod clips) then clean and lubricate the latch and plugin to test, if all is well the the dome light should come on the moment it is plugged in.

In the rare case you need another latch any 90'-94' J body will be a good donor of one as long as you have the original rods to your door.
Hope this is helpful
Monday, April 12, 2010 6:53 PM
Interesting...my failure was not realizing the turning of the lock would trip it off.

Hope you get it working.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search